BlacRubi 1 Ton DD Build

As most of you know the stock rubicon d44s are not up to "hardcore" wheeling. ive broken the front axle in my 2003 rubicon 3 times with just 33" tires. :shaking: no good. so i picked up a set of d60s for the front and rear and have decided to go a head and build the jeep around them. hope everyone enjoys!

here are a couple i have from gulches and tellico of the pre-build
jeep.jpg
gulches
jeep24.jpg
tellico
996.jpg
gulches
CHADJEEP.jpg

Axles:
Front-Ford 35 spline HP D60
5.38s
Detroit Trutrac for now(ox when funds allow)
Rear-Ford LP FF D60
5.38s
Yukon Grizzly(talked with yukon it will be available in 2-3 months)

Tires/Wheels:
40x13.50R17 Goodyear MTRs
Hummer H2 Aluminum
Staun Internal Beadlocks(again when funds allow)

Suspension:
Front-4link with triangulated uppers, all balistic brackets, 2" .25 wall tubing for all links w/ balistic joints at the frame and 1.25" QA1s at the axle, FOA 16" coilovers(if funds allow)
Rear-4link with triangulated uppers, all balistic brackets, 2" .25 wall tubing for all links w/ trial gear creeper joints at the frame and 1025" QA1s at the axle
103" total wheelbase w/ comp cut

Steering:
PSC Hydro Assist w/ heim joint cross over

couple of pics of what brown santa brought.
Picture003.jpg
Picture005.jpg
we got the tank hooked back up and mounted in the cargo area of the jeep and all the links welded up. most of the brackets are tacked in after two days of modifing them because ballistic sent the brackets for the wrong size axle tube. more pics comin tommorow

Chad is this new stuff or are you just gradually updating the thread as you go along to keep people in suspense of what you've been driving for the past year?

he had the front build by charlie Center who did a 4 link with out doing full hydro....:roll:I think hes taking an upper off and adding a trackbar now.:hnd:

he had the front build by charlie Center who did a 4 link with out doing full hydro....:roll:I think hes taking an upper off and adding a trackbar now.:hnd:
Not a bad idea. A 3 link will work better anyways. A lot more more forgiving with getting the angles correct and less interference with the exhaust. :smokin:

yes i traded the rubi 44s for the d60s in a trade that seemed like a good deal at the time but i ended up having to completely rebuild both axles. Also the rear was already geared 5.38 so that was a plus. all of my above posts are copied and pasted from pirate.

Many people run triangulated uppers in the front of tjs, but to be able to do it correctly, most stretch them farther than mine so that exhaust/driveshaft clearances dont matter and the link angles/geometry are easier to deal with. also that set up is mostly run with full hydro. brad seaton did most of the work on this jeep including the current suspension and steering. jeep works great but id like to get rid of some of the steering slop i have with the hydro assist and the triangulated setup. so im currently working on getting the materials together for a front 3-link.

got the front lowers complete and tacked to the axle. we also got the front truss finished up.
frontaxle.jpg

heres the new ps pump
steeringpump.jpg

and the resi bracket
steeringbracket.jpg

should have the front uppers, rear uppers/lowers and rear truss finished tommorow

went to brads last night and got some more done. we tacked in the uppers, mounted the steering ram, set the rear axle in place, i found a flat pitman arm and installed that.
to do list:
extend fuel lines and mount tank in back
set up rear links
retube the driveshafts
build a tierod
buy rear wheel spacers
but here are some pics from last night.

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

j5.jpg

j6.jpg

front links and brackets are fully welded and bolted in. its about 1" over ride height.

newj.jpg

newj2.jpg

tires are even with front of frame so it should have great approach. the coilovers will be here wednesday and steering heims from ruffstuff will be here friday.

newj3.jpg

newj4.jpg

well its been a while since an update but we have the jeep sittin on its own weight with the front coilovers installed. all we lack is the front steering(which still hasnt shipped from ruff stuff after 11 days:mad3:) and to attach the fuel lines. more pics saturday hopefully of the finished product.:smokin:

cos-1.jpg

bringing this back from the dead...as far as exhaust goes i could get you a pic but currently its cut off at the end of the "y" at the bottom of the motor. i havent gotten a chance to get the exhaust built. any muffler suggestions for the 4.0? also its back under the knife...were lowering it down a total of 2 inches by making the front coilover mount lower to the axle tube and cutting the rear spring perches down so that the retainer plate is sitting on the axle. in addition to the suspension modification a set of 40" ltbs will be on it in the near future as well as either a 14 bolt rear or 35 spline chromos for the rear 60. the front will be getting 35 spline outters. thats it for now ill post some pics of the progress once some is made.

here are some pics while on the clemson off road club trip to bumpus cove and hurricane creek...

one of camp set up

jeep_7.jpg

eno should sponsor us lol.

jeep_6.jpg

jeep_5.jpg

jeep_4.jpg

jeep_3.jpg

jeep_2.jpg

jeep_1.jpg

that trip was basically its maiden voyage. drove it to each trail and back home a total of probably 8 hours on the road. i rode fine and did better than expected on the trail.

well guys sorry i havent updated lately...but i finished up the front lowering and i got the 40" ltbs mounted before our annual harlan trip. we left for harlan on saturday the 11th and got back yesterday. the only wheelin the group got in was on saturday afternoon. the two buggies in our group tried little jagger with no luck, that hill was slick!!! and we wasted the rest of the afternoon on lower rock garden fixing rigs...the first jeep trough lost a valve stem, the second rig through busted a hydro fitting, and then i entered and found that my ram was mounted at too much of an angle and kept rotating my tie-rod. once everyone was finally off the trail we headed back to the house for dinner. the snow started saturday night and was still comin down on tuesday when we left. i believe that when we left there was 6-8" at the house and 18-20" on the mountain. so the rest of the weekend was spent in the stadium doin doughnuts and climbin the hills surrounding it. ill have some pics up of the trip shortly. right now im trying to source a 14 bolt to build for the rear hopefully to have in before our next trip to windrock. check back for pics and updates