Diesel fuel additives

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I run Stanadyne Performance Formula additive in my truck every 2 or 3 tanks. I've bought 2 cases of 12 16oz. bottles. The first I picked up from a shop in Augusta. The second I ordered online but don't remember from where. I'm on my last bottle so either need to find a supplier or switch to something else.

So, what does everyone use? How often? And do you think it actually makes a difference? I started using this after the mechanic who replaced the CP3 and FPR in my truck recommended it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My main reason for using an additive is the lubrication. In 2007, diesel fuels changed from Low Sulfer to Ultra Low Sulfer. The change reduced the lubricity (is that a word?) Of the fuel. Since my truck was designed to use low sulfer fuel, I was told I should run a lubricity adder. Stanadyne makes a lubricity formula, but the performance formula includes the extra lubrication in addition to cetane booster, anti-gelling additives, and whatever else it claims.

My main reason for using an additive is the lubrication. In 2007, diesel fuels changed from Low Sulfer to Ultra Low Sulfer. The change reduced the lubricity (is that a word?) Of the fuel. Since my truck was designed to use low sulfer fuel, I was told I should run a lubricity adder. Stanadyne makes a lubricity formula, but the performance formula includes the extra lubrication in addition to cetane booster, anti-gelling additives, and whatever else it claims.
I haven't heard this before but would make sense. I might look into it for my 6.0. I do not use anything regularly as I have not heard of anything great for use with the 6.0. With this motor I'm skeptical about putting anything in it. I just make sure to change all filters regularly.

I think its all snake oil. Want lubrication? Pour motor oil in your tank sometimes. I used to pour 4 gallons in my F250 every time I changed my oil. I poured a bottle in every tank going to Utah on the way out towing and didn't notice a single mpg or performace gain. Look at the 18 wheelers. You don't see them pouring in gallons and gallons every fill up. When I used to get on Cummins forum there were guys in the Hotshot section (towing used cars) daily with like 7-800k miles on them without a single issue and still running good. my 7.3 sure was quiet till all that oil burnt off.

I recycle my used motor oil straight into fuel tank during the warmer months. It goes through a 2 micron filter first though. If I remember I'll try to run 2 stroke oil (1 oz per gallon) as an additive for lube when I don't have any waste oil. All of this is in a first gen cummins though.

The only fuel I knownof that's does good things to diesels in everyway is Bio. That's some clean running high lube stuff.
I beg to differ....I was running Biodiesel for a while from Sphinx in Seneca. When I changed my fuel filter the next time I noticed some sludge in the bottom of my canister that the filter cartridge fits in. I took my finger and pulled the sludge out and scraped my finger on the edge of my shop sink. Days later that sludge was dried and crusty like crystals. I was at the same pump at the Sphinx station in the next week and notice the buildup and residue all over the area where the pump nozzle sits. There was a very thick coating all over the area on that Biodiesel pump. I started using a different brand of regular low sulfur diesel at another gas station on a regular basis and there is very little residue on that pump. There isn't any evidence that someone is cleaning the pump, it just doesn't get ANYTHING like the same buildup as the Biodiesel pump I was using.

Changed the filter since and no more sludge of any kind. I'm convinced that the Biodiesel isn't the way to go in that aspect. If it leaves that much of a mess in 7-10k miles then who knows what kind of mess its leaving in my system, my injectors, etc.

NO MORE BIODIESEL FOR ME. The only thing that I can figure is that the fuel companies are producing it for lest cost and selling at same price as normal diesel fuel.

Maybe I said it wrong. I'm talking 100% bio that you make your self. Like going to Mcdonlads and getting the old oil and running it thru a centrifuge and all that. Not that diesel with a few percent In it like at the spinx. There is a deer processor here in greenwood and his whole family has diesels and they run it year round. He says its a serious cleaner also. You may have to change fuel filter often till you system is clean he said. Cause if there is build up/sludge anywhere bio will break it loose.

Ive been running used motor oil after an oil change. I just dump it in the aux tank and mix with with some diesel, it also all gets filtered before going into the truck. Sometimes I notice the exhaust smell is a little different, but other than that, no noticeable change.

The only downside is that it doesn't take much to turn the fuel black. It gets a little messy.