Winch wiring help

Scored a ramsey rep 8000 today at a pikapart for $26 but it only came with the positive and negative wires running directly into the winch. Now i know these things run solenoids to keep from burning up switches since they pull such high amps but i was wondering how i can cheaply make it work safely. Can i just run one of these in my cab connected to the winches cables? POLY PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD PARTSÂ*::Â*Instruments & GaugesÂ*::Â*K-Four Quality SwitchesÂ*::Â*SwitchesÂ*::Â*Battery Cut-Off SwitchesÂ*::Â*K-Four Battery Cut Off Switch or do i need a solenoid. i dont mind having the winch only power one direction since i can flip the clutch and unspool it by hand (as far as I know) i just want to have a switch so i can jump in the cab and operate it. Also i dont want to burn anything down. Please be patient because im just know learning about electricity. any help is appreciated. This is my first winch that'll be going on my 1992 4x4 Yota so bare with me if I seem way uneducated about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my Ramsey the solenoids are under
a cover and I have is a positive and negative to the battery. Then I have a
wire inside that runs to the winch solenoids that simply sends power to the solenoids. Go to the 12volt Guy web. Site he is got lots of wiring diagrams for different winches

I can't post a pic since I'm not a full member yet but here's a link to it http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rwc-111036?seid=srese1&gclid=CMXQvML73sICFYZbfgod6J8AeA says it comes with weather proof solenoids. On the winch I have a positive and negative post so would I need a two post solenoid to be able to run a toggle and be safe? Or would I have to wire two toggles with two seater solenoids; one for in, one for out?

if that is what your winch looks like in the link you posted, where does the two battery cables attach on your winch. There is suppose to be a control box that the power cables go to that a corded remote would plug into to operate the winch. How many terminal posts are on the winch motor?

Got a starter solenoid out of an old ford and wired that up to a switch. Only have pull in but it seems to be working good and hasn't blown up the switch yet

Got a starter solenoid out of an old ford and wired that up to a switch. Only have pull in but it seems to be working good and hasn't blown up the switch yet

Do you not have the solenoid pack? If your attempting to make your own you will need 4 solenoids to build a H Bridge. h-bridge.jpg

Nah It didn't come with it, it looked like the guy had it hot wired straight to the battery. I went and got a ford starter solenoid though so I can run a switch into the cab. Running a single solenoid I was able to wire up the switch to have the winch spool in, but i have to manually pull cable out. Will I be ok running it like this?

You'll really wish it powered out as well. There are times when you need to power out to adjust your condition/ situation on the trail or whatever predicament you've gotten in to. You also won't be able to unlock the spool if the weight of the vehicle is against the spool locking mechanism.

That starter solenoid won't last long once you start pulling some amps through it. They are not a continuous duty cycle. A two post permanent magnet motor can be wired up to work in both directions with a two solenoid control pack.

So I should get a solenoid that is meant for running winches and I'll be good? I'll use two switches and run one solenoid on the post regular and then one on the post flipped with another switch and that should give me my in out right? Forgive me if I'm way off I'm new to electricity

I would reverse the pos and neg and be sure it runs both ways. Also ohm out the posts to the winch chassis and be sure they are not grounded. Then see how much the OE solenoid pack would cost from the manufacturer. Happy new year