Winch power draw ???

I am running a Smittybilt Xrc 8k even with a yellowtop I still have a lot of draw down... Any thoughts about putting an inline cap to solve this??? I know it works on running large amps...

Capacitors are great for shock loads like those seen in stero systems. The winch is a much more continuous pull and as such would drain off the capacitor at the very start and it wouldn't recover until you were finished with your pull. About the only real solution is dual batteries and/or a monster alternator.

Even dual batteries will only solve the load issue, but you still have to face the recharging issue. OE alternators are between 75/125a. Mine is 125a, so using the depletion / recharging rough #'s you can winch on these conditions. At max draw my warn pulls 400a, and the alt charges at 125a. It takes the alt 2-3min per 100a of depletion. So it takes the winch 30 sec to draw 200a at average load draw. That's 4 min charging after 30 sec of winching. It really doesn't matter how big the alt is, it's a matter of how fast the batt can accept a charge. Two batteries just takes twice as long to charge. Most peoples problem comes from winching to long. Stay around 30 sec winching and 4 min recharge and you should be fine.

i always just bring the engine up to about 2500 rpms and go. i have a xrc10 and an optima red top and have never really had a problem as far as batteries go. i have more a problem with the winch itself getting too hot on long pulls

Having 2 batteries will not lengthen the recharge time... Your using X amount of Watts/h (Volt x Amp x time), and the same number of watts/h will have to be put back in. It doesn't matter whether it's recharging into 1 or 2 batteries.

Think of a 5-gal bucket of water and you use 2 gallons per minute for 2 minutes, a total of 4 gallons. With a single bucket, you'd be down to 1 gallon, or with 2 buckets, you'd be down to 3 gallons in each (provided equal use of course). Your alternator replenishes at 1 gallon per minute. It'll take 4 minutes to replenish both buckets or the 1 bucket. (assuming simple replenishing).

I do recommend reving up the engine when doing long pulls. A hand controller throttle is a good idea.

JP

I understand per battery, but the average person with 2 just depletes them both before allowing for a re charge. That takes twice as long! Deplete 2 batteries by 400a each and I assure you a 125a alt will take in excess of 7min to fully charge both. The only exception to the rules having an isolator system to prevent cross draw. That's what really hurts the average dual battery setup.

I understand what you're saying. But for a same given job (say, one pull) the recharging of one or two batteries will be about the same.

Now if the user just drains everything, 1 battery or 2, of course it'll take longer to refill 2 batteries.

JP

Right.
I assume worst case. Other than me, who stops winching before the battery is nearly depleted. Even I have dropped down so low that the engine started to stumble! Most everyone with a winch has never taken 2 sec to actually find out charge rate, winch draw, or alt. output on their rigs. That just leads to me assuming worst case. I totally agree on the theory of charge rate. One other thing to consider is the type of battery. Optima's will accept a charge faster than a conventional lead acid battery. There's just a lot to consider.

That is why I want to upgrade the buggy to a 280amp alternator. Plus one day I want to be a cool kid with 40,000 HID lights and a big stereo. 280Amps should be able to handle it. Any alternator repair place worth their salt should be able to bump up your output a good bit. I couldn't imagine the type of terrain in AK. I am sure that a long pull can go far and beyond anything that we would consider here.

Just FYI
08 Dodge Durango #56029914AD
Is a 160a direct bolt in replacement in a TJ.

Another problem solver is to upgrade the wire size on the alternator. OE jeep has 8 or 10 ga wire. I went to 2ga and it increased charge rate a good bit.

or just get a hydro winch, for probably less than half the cost of an upgraded alternator/charging system and dual battery setup, you could upgrade the power steering pump and never have to worry about duty cycle

You could go hydro, but will your hydro setup support it. Also what do you do when you are on your lid and can't run the motor? Upgrading the steering pump isn't really a fix for me. I have run quite a few high dollar pumps and they all sucked. The stock one seems to work the best. Maybe not as fast or high pressure as an upgraded pump, but it doesn't spit the shaft after a couple months either. Almost everytime I have used my winch I couldn't run my motor. Either rolled over, broken oil pan, or something else that prevented the motor from spinning. Hydro would be killer on a trail tow rig though.