JEEP TJ heater core replacement

You only have 6-8 bolts holding the dash, and some of the FSM steps can be shortcut. It's not that bad. You have to figure out the shortcut. If I ever do one, I'll be sure to post up the shortcuts I find.
Just a good example, Ford trucks & cars all require the dash to come out for a blend door motor. It's about 4-6hr job according to model. I do them in 1hr with the dash still bolted in!
I'll try to look over the FSM and see if I come across any obvious shortcuts.

You don't have to remove the dash completely but it will need to be unbolted for access. I've helped somebody do one and I'm looking at AllData to refresh my memory. It sucks either way.

I did mine last year.

3 bolts each end of the dash, 3 0r 4 screws along top of dash (pop the defrost vent cover that runs along the top of the dash off) , 1 or 2 screws/bolts accessed thru glove box, drop steering column and start easing everything back and let it rest/ hang by some wires on the seats. Then access nuts holding the box in from the engine bay side of the firewall. Remove the heater hoses etc. I had to access my A/c Condenser core which is in the same box, so I replaced the heater core at the same time. You are gonna have to have the A/C gas taken out and then have a/c recharged because you'll have to disconnect the a/c lines. It's a pain, maybe even more-so because of your cage. I had to unbolt my trail cage from the main hoop which meant leaning the windshield forward.

I did the job in about 6 hours, 2 hrs at a time over 3 nights which kept me from getting very P.O-ed about the whole cituation!!

what a pain in the ***, the smell went away for now, so I'm going to assume it fixed its self till next fall when i need heat again.

01tj

lol i dont blame ya there. i could smell mine for a few winters but it finally went out at river rock when i threw the rear driveshaft and mashed the skid plate way up into my jeep. perfect timing.... its not a fun job. pull your dash as far back as u can with out taking off the steering wheel and the heater box will come out. it may not seem like it but it will, as long as the cage isnt in the way

01tj

the temp gauge pegged out and filled my passenger floor board with all of the coolant in my radiator

soooo....i'm smelling it again now that the top and doors are on. Did yall use Advance/autozone cores or did you go OEM? Seems a lot of people are having trouble with the aftermarket ones not fitting. if I do it I only want to do it once.