Opinions on bowless soft tops

Anybody had any firsthand experience with these? The guy picked up my hard top tonight so other than a bikini top, I have none. I'm in no hurry but I will eventually buy a new full top in time. I really like the Rampage top but never seen one up close. My TJ's garage kept so the only time I'll really use it is on longer trips or just so I have a transportation option during foul weather.

I have seen quite a few of them and riden in a couple. At first I really liked the idea, but I would not buy one. They just didn't really perform the way I would have wanted. They weren't as taught and seemed to flap a little more. After running a couple cheap tops on my TJ, I wouldn't buy anything but a good quality bestop again.

I think they can look good, there was a good thread on Jeepforum that discussed the different brands of bowless tops and the drawbacks of each. I know there isnt as much headroom front or rear with them from what I have read. I like the look of them on unlimiteds both JK and LJ more than the regular TJ one.

I've read they're an extremely snug fit the first time you install it but stretch a bit after that. I may try a Rampage for the price and the amount I'll use it.

I put my top on last night to stretch it out. It's snug as a mofo. I drove it towork today and if anyone says these tops aren't quiet and they flap they're lying. That or they didn't install it right. It's just as quiet as any other soft top I've ridden in and virtually NO flap at all. That' may change once it stretches out but I really like it and highly recommend it if you want an inexpensive alternative.

Last edited:
that looks cool, a lot bigger windows than stock... my top gets really really tight in the colder months but when it gets some direct sunlight it loosens up a bit

Yeah, the window area is a good bit larger than most which is a plus. It was a pita to put on but I hope it'll stretch out some. I'll probably take it off for most of the summer while I wheel it then put it back on complete and stick it in the garage for the winter. We'll see, I've got another toy coming soon which may take up some real estate.

Yeah, the window area is a good bit larger than most which is a plus. It was a pita to put on but I hope it'll stretch out some. I'll probably take it off for most of the summer while I wheel it then put it back on complete and stick it in the garage for the winter. We'll see, I've got another toy coming soon which may take up some real estate.
O god more toy's??? I want to know what this one is going to be!!!!

Top looks bad *** by the way.

Yes, a lot easier. The only thing I've noticed is the straps that go from the top rear down to the tail gate have excess slack from stretching. The hook and look fasteners take care of that.