East Coast Adventure May 2011

Looks like a good time. My wife and I make trips like this all the time, although not in the jeep. Weekend getaways on roads off the beaten path are tons of fun...

Days 1-3 up to roanoke will be mostly on the Blue Ridge Parkway, then we hit dirt for the next 4 days. Then on day 8 we will be camping in Uwharrie National forest with a drive home on day 9.

The Blue Ridge has some awesome little towns and lakes in the gullies. you never know what you'll find if you just get off the parkway in the hills : )

Due to the fact that my newly installed gears (Aug 2010) in my axle are still whining and have not been fixed yet (currently May 2011) we are having to cut our trip short. We will now be venturing up to VA a little past Mabry mill but will only be traveling for 5 days and alot less offroad since we wont make it into WV.

I'll post a trip report when we get back, should still be a fun trip. I just cant take the gear whine for that many hours and the wife put her foot down on riding with the gearwhine.

Well after a little over 1k miles we are back and I'm ready to go back. We had a fun 5 day trip with lots of sight seeing, some gravel roads, some Camry rated trails, fun camping, rain, fog, sun, and mud.

We left Wednesday evening around 6pm. It was Hot!!! in Columbia and we were looking forward to the cooler weather in the mountains. After packing for a few hours and trying to pack everything, we gave up on remembering everything and rolled out.

packed and ready for the road

thumbs up

entering the state where we would spend our next 5 days

Wednesday night camp spot

Thursday morning

Map of Wednesday

Attachments

Thursday morning we woke up and made some sausage and pancakes went on a little hiking trail near our campsite and packed up. We headed up the parkway toward Mt. Mitchell. We had awesome weather and it was super sunny but a bit cool. We decided to go ahead and grab our campsite and then head back to Mt. Mitchell to check it out and eat a late lunch up on the mountain.

We ventured off the parkway onto the long winding rutted out dirt road that leads to black mountain campground. We got one of the last 3 spots left and unhooked the trailer and headed for the lookout to have lunch. The wind was blowing and it was cool, but the mountain was Awesome!!!. For anyone who hasnt been you should really see it at least once. After having lunch and "hiking" to the top via paved nature trail we took some pics and wandered around the area. Then we decided to head back to camp and hang out in the river a bit before making dinner.

That night we made a Frito Pie in the dutch oven (thanks for the idea Pat!) and had a few beverages while we played poker under the tarp as the rain started to come down.

Map of Thursday

Attachments

Last edited:
Did the 8.8 piece help at all?
I forgot it at work when I left early. I really doubt it would, and would have had no time to bolt it on as we were late leaving as it was. Thanks so much for getting it to me thought. If you need it back you are welcome to it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bummer...I doubt I will need it, but will grab it this weekend just in case. You should throw it on this week and see if it helps any...if not, no biggie....

It rained most of Thursday night but we stayed high and dry in the new Tent. I am having one issue with large volumes of rain gathering in the covered area outside the door of the tent, still looking for a good solution.

We made some scrambled eggs and bacon in the cast iron skillet and packed up camp to head for the Linville Gorge area. On the way we hit fog, rain, and some sun. The dirt roads were nasty but thanks to the new flares the jeep, trailer, and occupants stayed relatively clean.

We stopped in little switzerland at the Little Switzerland Cafe and General store for some lunch. I had a smoked trout BLT and Weston and Andrea had the BBQ sandwitch which was all very tasty. We arrived at Old NC 105 later in the afternoon and the sun had began to sneak out.

We unhooked the trailer and setup the ezup tent and then headed for Old Fort for the Mountain Music Festival. This would be the beginning of few things that belonged in the FAIL thread haha. First thing we learned was that Old Fort is a one horse town with nowhere to eat as everything is closed. The railroad museum closes at 5 and the mountain music doesnt start till 7...so you have nothing to look at or eat while in the down town area. We decided to head back into Marion to find some food. We stopped at an awesome bbq restaurant but decided to find something else as they had bbQ for lunch... We ended up at "The Steak House" ...word of warning, its a hacked together western sizzling, overpriced and microwave dinner style food. We eneded up heading to a drive in nearby for some icecream afterwords to try to save the evening.

Then the rain came down...and came down and came down. We decided to head back to camp and hang out hoping to wait out the rain. Well as soon as we got out of town the rain stopped and the sun began to shine. We made it back to camp in time to hike to a few trails. Andrea was tired and had been eaten by some sort of misquitos while weston and I had yet to get bitten so she hit the sack early while weston and I enjoyed some micro brews we found in little switzerland.

Attachments

Last edited: