Hammock Suspension System

Well we've caught the hammock bug - so why not make a Hammock Suspension System out of Amsteel Blue? It is very light, stretches very little, and is very strong.

We have started a new folder in our Photo Gallery for these pics. See it HERE.

Here are a couple of pics too from the gallery.

Beginnings of a Hammock Suspension System. There are many options on the market, so we are trying to design our own system. We are receiving assistance from a professional stand-up paddle boarder who specializes in expedition trips.

Hammock Gathering Line made out of Amsteel Blue.

Hammock Gathering Line installed. We removed a fair amount of line from the prototype to tighten/shorten it up.

What our Hammock Gathering Line replaced.

A 7/64" soft shackle to replace traditional carabiners.

Soft shackle opened.

We have more pics to come as we develop more pieces of this kit.

Thanks!

I have been seeing your pics of these on facebook. Can you elaborate on how your system replaces the main webbing that goes around the tree? The webbing system my eno uses is very user friendly. I guess this would save space and weight over the traditional setup?

I have been seeing your pics of these on facebook. Can you elaborate on how your system replaces the main webbing that goes around the tree? The webbing system my eno uses is very user friendly. I guess this would save space and weight over the traditional setup?
We are still working on everything, but I picture the "tree saver" to be a simple set up of 1" webbing that is wrapped around the tree and inserted through itself to create a loop that reaches out to the hammock. A Whoopie Sling will then attach with a soft shackle to the Tree Saver, and then with another soft shackle to the Hammock Gathering Line. The Whoopie Sling is within it's max and min reach infinitely adjustable. You won't be constrained to attaching to loops of webbing every couple or few inches. Amsteel Blue also stretches very very little. For how the Suspension System will be used you will probably experience around 0.1% stretch. As long as your Tree Savers don't slip on their tree or other anchor you won't find yourself going to sleep 2 feet off the ground and waking up 2 inches off the ground.

Very interested in this. My enos doesn't have any sort of webbing and didn't know they were available. I always use ratchet straps.

Get yourself a wife that takes her Eno everywhere and you will have a bag full of different materials. I carry multiple biners, 100ft of para cord, multiple pieces of webbing and still have to get creative sometimes. And now that we are home from Moab and she couldn't find anywhere to hang her hammock from pure rock, I'm going to have to carry some of my climbing gear now to suspend the thing. If I had taken some of my Black Diamond cams/nuts we could have hung it in some crazy places for some really cool pics.

Look forward to seeing what comes from this in the end.. as I've come to enjoy using my hammock over the last couple of years when flying as an FCC on C-17's... and have become fairly creative in my hanging options.. And def look forward to using my hammock once I find myself another rig to build up for the trails & camping...