Steering with Locked/ Open Axles

I got into a discussion on RCC with a few people about the handling characteristics of a vehicle with locked differentials.

They claimed that a vehicle with an open front and locked rear will have a smaller turning radius than a vehicle with an open rear locked front.

I did a test using an RC by swapping an Open dif from the front to back.

But what are your thoughts on this.

Which do YOU think would have a smaller turning radius?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I think there would be more factors than just which end is locked. With my old Explorer (welded rear, Aussie front) unlocking a front hub allowed it to turn sharper. With the Samurai (spools in both) you can tell the rear end pushes the front straight and I'm sure unlocking the rear would allow it to turn sharper.

Probably has a lot to do with the weight and suspension configuration.

I'm not denying that unlocking a front hub will help it turn sharper if the rear is welded.

The scenario is this. one vehicle. Locked Rear/Open Front turning radius is larger than the same vehicle with the Open Rear/ Locked front.

And now that I'm typing this, Larry you would be the perfect person to test this for me with the LJ. Sounds like we need to do a turning test in your front yard.

I did the test with DJs RC with an open differential case. And the results showed that Locked Rear was worse, as I had expected.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The Explorer had the front locker for a long time before I welded the rear. I don't feel that the turning radius was worse on it once it was welded. But in general I would say yes rear locked is worse. We can test it sometime.

Sounds like we need to setup and do a Video/Test writeup.
I'm down. It would be much better than my half *** video I made to prove my point with the RCs.

Yall trying to decide which locker to remove or something???
no, Integy came out with an axle like the venom creeper axle that has a setup like an OX locker. The diffs are selectable. The poster stated that it would be nice to use the axle in the front so you could turn sharper. I replied that it would be better suited to the rear if you can only un lock one axle.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Wouldn't that be easy to test on a full sized rig with arb's? Or is there something about scale that wouldn't translate?

It would. I tested it with my jeep tonight and just unlocked the front hubs for the rear locked front open test. It was about 5' smaller radius with the front locked.

can you through in axle widths differences between front and rear into the equation.:bringit: a narrower rear axle should allow for a tighter turning radius. Most trucks have slightly narrower rear axles.

It would. I tested it with my jeep tonight and just unlocked the front hubs for the rear locked front open test. It was about 5' smaller radius with the front locked.
Were you on pavement? I know its not healthy for to do it on a hard surface, but you want to keep as much of the slippage down to quantify the test.

woops, hit edit, instead of new post. sorry.

haha, thats not on the table. Any time dig or overdrive front axle comes in to play it wins the battle.