Diagnosis Help!

Was driving my jeep today and when stopped the temp rose up towards 260 so I cut it off. When I started moving again it went back down to 210 and stayed there as long as I was moving. When I slowed down it would start to creep up again. When I got to a station I pulled over and nothing was leaking and the lines underneath looked dry. However the reservoir was dry. I put coolant in and after I got home about an hr later driving the whole time and it was exactly where I filled it to.

Sorry for the long write but was trying to explain it well. Thanks guys

I would say thermostat could have stuck closed until it got real hot but with it being low on coolant it sounds like possible head gasket. Keep your eye on it, it may be eating coolant via head gasket. More than likely just stuck thermostat though.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Without the engine running, grab a blade of the fan and turn it. Without a feel for what it should feel like, it won't help you though. It should turn smoothly (no grittiness or noise), but should have resistance. It should not turn freely. When you're moving, the moving air gets to the radiator and cools the engine. When you're stopped, that's the fan's job, and if the clutch is shot it won't pull enough air.

So after I drove it today it spewed coolant all over the place, after looking around found that the shop hadn't clamped one of the radiator hoses all the way. Fixed it and now she's running perfect again.

However I really want to change out the transmission fluid, anyone think they could teach a brother? Don't have the tools/space/know how to do it correctly

Ah an automatic, I have serviced my wife's 2005 liberty, but I followed a write up I found online for it, seems all autos require different service steps. I'm sure somebody will chime in.

It doesn't have a drain plug. Remove the skid, put a jack stand under the case. Put a very large catch pan under the trans pan. Loosen all bolts evenly and slowly. Get a good corner to loosen all the way up, and drain from that corner. Get a new filter, and re-fill with some new ATF.

Just make sure not to take it to someone and let them flush it, it will prolly never shift again if it has some miles on it.