Engine swap idea!

I have been thinking of an engine swap, and then I thought of an entire powertrain swap. I'm thinking about the viability of using a Cummins 3.9 4BT. Those are stand alone engines, and have big HP&TQ for a 4 banger diesel.
It's a turbo marine & industrial engine. 750lb crate weight, and would fit in the place of a Jeep 4.0 nicely. It produces 100HP & 265lb torque. I bet if you added a decent intercooler, you could gain a little extra ump!
In reality, they are long lasting, low maint., and reliable. The price new is a kicker though! $7000 You can find them used, as well as referb though.
http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html

I started doing some research, and came up with a few builds that have been done.
Here's one that's great, and the guy is boasting 25MPG final result!
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?1209-Jeep-TJ-and-a-4bt-diesel

You can use one out of on old bread truck that is already an auto setup with an nv4500 and get the whole set up for about 1500 to 2500.... Go to www.4btswaps.com " I have been pondering the idea for a while now... There are guys that are getting around 30-35mpg with 33's on a jeep with them its a great swap that site has a lot of info... They have all kinds of rigs with the swap...

I think it would probably be the coolest swap you could do. Run it off WVO and you have an ECO friendly high mpg rig. Of course you'd have to upgrade everything else behind it. Id love to do it. And have a big *** tip coming out the back to roll coal.

I had actually considered selling the Rubi & starting over with that as a first order of business.
What I really want to find is a 03-06 TJ, good body, frame, doors/top, interior, but no drivetrain or axles. Good luck right!
I figure that I could long arm, D60's, 37's, and cummins/700r4/atlas. :mech: :weld:
That sound hot like Madonna in a pointy bra or what?

I have looked into the 4bt, but as others have said its really tall. And with a turbo you introduce alot of extra heat and pressure. I love the idea, but i like my extra 90hp over the 4bt, but 30mpg would be nice

30 miles per gallon hell ya that would be sweet. Jeff u just have to win the loto first to afford it lol. I think ill just let the jeeps gas mileage suck and buy a bike.

I will have to find the email but I was in contact with a co. That does 4bt swaps in nothing but jeeps... He quoted me $22000 for the complet swap with him doing it engine/trans that's it and that's with a th400... It is a pricey swap if you have someone do it thats for sure... I emailed the guy for the price on the motor mounts and he sent me the price on an complet engine and the swap done out the door... I will try to find it it has all the parts needed to do the swap...

See if there is a adapter for the VW diesel for the Jeep tranny. Works great in a samurai. You also have Toyota diesels, but they are not to common, but they are there. What abaout maknig an adapter and maybe run a Perkins deisel or other industrial application?

The 4BT makes a cool swap, but I think people make them out to be a little more than they are. You should check out the Nissan SD33 and SD22. The 33 is a 3.3l 6-cylinder, at 100hp, not sure on torque. The sd22 is a 2.2 4-cylinder with 61hp. I swapped a 2.2 into a datsun pick-up and got 40mpg before I added a turbo charger. With a hitachi TC-10 turbo I ran at 15psi and nearly double the seat of the pants power. It was a lot of fun. I still got about 30mpg with the turbo, but once I got it I ran it on the boost much harder.

Here is a pic of the lil turbo
HPIM0604.jpg

Whats cool about the Nissan engines is that they came in Jeeps and IH scouts. The Jeep CJ-10 used them with 727 auto trannies, scouts had autos and 5-speeds, the datsun 2wd pick-ups had 5-speeds. With the 727 you have plenty of t-case options and aftermarket support.

I have an 1986 SD33 with the 727 and NP208 for sale, 55k miles. I am selling them for $400. Hell, it even still has the Jeep wiring harness to plug into a CJ-7.

I just liked the idea of the cummins. It's in several pieces of equipment at my work. They are nearly indestructible. Easily maintained, and easy to acquire parts.

I just saw a scrambler at a swap meet in ohio this past weekend that had a 4bt swap in it. VERY clean.. very well done. unfortunately, didn't get to hear it run or talk to the guy.. A different guy got some pics.. I'll try and find a link.

matt

Bumping an old thread. I was on one of my adderall tangents today and started thinking about this again and stumbled upon an engine i hadnt heard of, cummins b3.3 rated factory 85hp 215lb torque, all mechanical, weighs 200lbs less then a 4bt (560lbs with all accessories) and a lot shorter. Heres a few links ive found about them and about swaps using it. There an industrial engine so its not a direct bolt in, but with an adapter can be used with stock ax15 and even use the stock radiator from a 4.0. Guy with yj says he doesnt have powersteering but could use one of the pto's for a pulley for power steering....or something like that i havent read into it far enough. Most ive seen have bought them straight from cummins new, and paid about $3700 which id say is very reasonable for a brand new engine.

http://www.cummins-sp.com/engines/industrial/b33_engine.htm
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=112807&page=2
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/266807-cummins-b3-3-fj45.html