69 Camaro build. LS/SS

I have owned this car since I was 15. It has gone through the progressions a teenager would take one through. I have some pictures somewhere from along the way and will try to post some.

The car is a 1969 SS, one of the funny coded cars that could or could not of been an SS. But, we will call it an SS to make me feel good. Either way, it's a factory 350/TH350 car not matching numbers. Was factory Glacier Blue with Blue inside. The color is more of a Marina blue now and will more than likely stay that color as I like it and that's how I know the car. I will likely change the Blue guts out to black since the interior will be re-done in a more modern material but factory style.

The car was restored when we got it but not a perfect job. Had a decent 350/TH 350 setup with 3.08 gears and an open rear. Had a slick paint job but some bondo in the quarters from over the years. The floors are in great shape along with the rest of the car. Actually think the bondo is more from being hit in the back years ago than rust but either way, it's going to get new sheet metal in the rear.

When I was around 18 I was heavy into drag racing, helped out a friend who ran two rails in an IHRA series. I wanted to go fast. So, Billy and I had a new 350 and TH 350 built for the car. Motor is pretty hot for a SBC. Has good heads and a big cam. Billy talked me out of going crazy with it, which I have regretted. I actually have a different cam for the current motor that would take it into the 500HP range. I probably dropped 5 grand plus on this motor and trans when I was doing it. It is very fun to drive, but not practical and not really that fast. Just a good hot rod that sounds sweet as hell. It's a burn out machine, that's about all it's good for. I also had the rear end built with 3:73 gears and a posi, and changed the wheels to a 17" Billet wheel. I don't like the wheels anymore, I was 16 when I bought them...

I plan to get the car back to Greenwood this spring since it has been at mom and dads since I quit working is 2012. I will likely swap the rallies back on it and drive it around town this spring/summer/fall before I tear into it.

Build Plan:
My buddy that normally rides co-dawg with me is looking for me a 98+ Z28 or Trans-Am that I can get the drive train out of. Will be an LS1 with the t-56 6 speed. I plan to use any part off of the car that is possible. Brakes, drive shaft, etc. This will save a lot of money, and be good upgrades for the 69. I want the car to handle great and be something I can hop in and drive 500 miles without hesitation.

Motor:
LS1

Trans:
t-56

Rear:
Undecided. Have been kicking around the idea of using a Ford 8.8 rear. It is .25" narrower than the F-body rear and has 31 spline axles, factory discs, parking brake setup, limited slip, and 3:73 gears.
Or, will do a 12 bolt with the same setup using the F-body brakes if I can find a rear for a fair price.
I will likely mini tub the rear when I am doing the new quarters so that I can un a wider tire in the rear. The .25" narrower rear end will actually help my cause here.

Suspension:
Front will see tubular A-arms and possibly coilovers. Rear will stay mono leaf with good shocks. Will get big sway bars all the way around.

Tires/Wheels:
Looking at the Coy's. That's what I have had picked out for a long time. A machined finish center with polished lip. 20's in back, 18's up front.

Body will be resprayed current color and interior will stay stock form but leather and black in color (likely).

Looking for 500RWHP, good cornering ability, great drivability, A/C, and decen MPG's for a long trip.

Finally got around to the car (slightly) tonight. Dad told me a couple months ago it started leaking trans fluid. It is leaking around the output seal. It may be fine after moving it around some but I doubt it. I will probably have to put one in it when I get it home. Started right up after sitting for a good while. I let dad work the carb and he choked it out and it flooded out. Should fire right up next time I am there. It just needed to be held on the floor but as long as its sat I didn't really think that was the best thing to do until it had some run time. It probably ran a solid 5 minutes though so when I go back its awnnn. I will see what the trans leak looks like then also. If its not leaking anymore I will probably drive it some. If it is I won't drive it because I don't want fluid blown all up under it.

Next steps:
Get running 100%
Wash the piss out of it at mom and dads and bring it back to Hodges.
I will address the trans leak if it is still leaking at my house. Unfortunately it's probably gonna get trailered back to the house. Don't want that seal blowing out and making a mess.

I really hate the wheels that are on the car. Teenage me had decent taste but what was cool in 2001 is not in 2014...lol. I may end up ordering the new wheels/tires to run on it this fall and until I start the rest of the build. I am buying a car for the motor/trans/etc. as soon as I can find it. Will be taking it to the guy to look at the body work as soon as it is back over here so I can get prepared for that and order the necessary parts.

Can't wait to go cruising this fall....then here comes 500 RWHP naturally aspirated and hopefully it will handle pretty well and be everything I want it to be in due time.

Steveo, if you see this...

I have really been thinking strongly on a 20/18 Rally combo instead of the Matte Gray Coy C5's I had originally planned on. The only 20" Rally's I am finding are billet and JEEBUS they are expensive. To the tune of about 1800 for the set. Do you know of any steel 20's that are made in a 9 ish wide? Whats your opinion on that? I know yall deal with this stuff everyday and I have been out of the hot rod scene a while.

My favorite wheel for almost any car really is a CCW classic or replica. I think they go well with a "pro touring" style build. Clean looking
camarooutside.jpg white1969.jpg

I want to build a g-body monte carlo ss with an LS motor to get my redneck appetitie satisfied.

Project should be taking it's start in two weeks. I ordered the engine goodies Friday. Will be ordering the rear end parts this week. Hoping to put down around 450 to the tires.

US-MAG-Blue-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-SS-1969-US-Mags-Big-Slot---U600-Matte-Gray_162325440.jpg
Leaning heavily toward this direction now. I have decided against 20's in the back after looking at more and more cars. And I really like the idea of not having what every other MF in the world has on their 69 Camaro.