2 Gallon VIAIR Tank Mounting

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Picked up a VIAIR kit today to add onboard air to the jeep. I have done a bunch of searching to figure out where to mount the tank. It comes with a 2 Gallon tank. It measures 19.36" long and is 6.58" round. With the bracket, stands 7.62".

I have seen 5 places to mount this tank, the first 3 are not for me because I would like to keep the rear area open:

1. Behind the front seats across the floor on a bracket.
2. Where the back seat is.
3. Behind the back seat.
4. Just inside the frame rail under the driver side behind the t-case.
5. Above the rear axle under the tub (just in front of the gas tank).

Like I said above, mounting it inside isn't something I want to do. #4 would be a good spot if I could find a skid plate for it, but I haven't been able to find anyone that makes one for the TJ. I don't know if #5 is an option with only a 3" lift. I don't know if I have enough room.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I only have a 1 gallon tank, and I have a little more room being an lj, but I plan to put mine under the floor right behind where the rear passenger foot well dips.

I plan to run a piece of copper tubing around under the CJ7 if a tank won't fit (if I ever get it running). Takes about 50 ft of 7/8" OD tubing to equal one gallon. Need to have some kind of condensate drain at the lowest point, and keep it from vibrating against anything under there and wearing a hole in the tubing. Could be done partially inside the tub.

Last edited:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I plan to run a piece of copper tubing around under the CJ7 if a tank won't fit (if I ever get it running). Takes about 50 ft of 7/8" OD tubing to equal one gallon. Need to have some kind of condensate drain at the lowest point, and keep it from vibrating against anything under there and wearing a hole in the tubing. Could be done partially inside the tub.
13 feet of almost 1" tube ran throughout a jeep just sounds like a rattle fest.

Are you serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would probably be my last resort if I can't find room for a tank of some sort. The small diameter will be easy to find room for and doesn't have to be in one solid piece. Manifold it together with smaller tubing, brace and isolate it to the bottom of the tub and rattles should not be an issue. Larger tubing would not take as much footage.

Just my humble 2 cents!