Ford 8.8 Parking Brakes

I am looking to hook up my parking brake on my Ford 8.8. I have read that you can use 2003+ TJ or LJ cables or 95+ ZJ cables that had factory disc brakes and its pretty much a bolt in deal. But many complain that they must constantly tighten and adjust them.

Does anyone have a parking brake setup on their 8.8 and are you happy with is?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't see why you would need to adjust them often once you have it set up correctly, unless you're driving with the brake on. When I swapped from drum 8.8 to disk 8.8 in the Explorer, I used the front half of my original cable and the back half of the disk explorer's cable and connected them with cable binders. I never had a problem with it and never adjusted it after.

I don't see why you would need to adjust them often once you have it set up correctly, unless you're driving with the brake on. When I swapped from drum 8.8 to disk 8.8 in the Explorer, I used the front half of my original cable and the back half of the disk explorer's cable and connected them with cable binders. I never had a problem with it and never adjusted it after.
thats good to hear, if you search for 8.8 parking brake setup, most replies on all the jeep forums complain that they dont work worth a crap. There are a few places where they talk about a break in procedure that fixes the problem, you have to get the shoes to form to the drum to get them to work well.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I hooked mine up last year, it was a cool little project to adapt the stock cables, but not that hard. But mine don't work worth a crap. But I think it has to do with the shoes themselves. They came in the axle and I haven't looked at them, they may be shot or installed wrong. My brake works well preventing the jeep from rolling backwards, but doesn't do much rolling forwards (or vice versa, can't remember for sure).

Yeah I actually bought the tabs from that guy for like $20. I was in the same position, but for $20 it made sense and I used my old TJ cables. I don't think they would be very hard to make though and just burn them in.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Line locks have their place, but I wouldnt consider them a replacement for an e-brake, especially on a rig that is street driven. If you have a hydraulic failure, you still have no brakes. Being a manual, you could at least slow it down quickly, but I have limped a truck home with only the E-brake...