93 yj

Not sure if I posted my last build on here or not, but I had a 2006 TJ with a 2 inch bb, 35's and metal cloak fenders. I also had CFS offroad build a cage to put in it. I traded it for a YJ, a Trailer, and some cash. Here is a pic of the TJ before I traded it.

rain.jpg

Now for the new...
YJ has the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder
TF999 auto freshly rebuilt by ptc
pro rocks doubler on the np231
'78 ford Dana 60 HP front chromoly shafts and detroit lockers disc brakes
'78 ford Dana 60 rear yukon 35 spline shafts with spool and disc brakes
rear four linked with currie jonnie joints
RCI Fuel cell with guage
front is YJ springs over axle and revolver shackles
PSC steering box with hydro assist
42" iroks mounted on weld on beadlocks

This is how it sat when it was delivered. the second pic is behind the PO's truck with my trailer also.

photo8.jpg

photo8.jpg

I quickly took the cj hood and grill off...I know, I know flame away, but my first Jeep was a YJ and I wanted the YJ hood and grill back on it. I also lowered the grill and angled it back to get the hood lower for a better view. The grill is supported by brackets I made at the bottom and hood pins at the top. The hoop will be cut off also. I may refit it and may not. Haven't made up my mind. Also remounted the trans cooler a bit better while the grill was off.

photo7.jpg

I got it all put together and the wife and I headed up to uwharrie national forest for the fall Jeep Jamboree with some family. The jeep did great, but the trails were tame compared to what I really want to do in it. Either way though we had a blast camping (Completely primitive thanks to our President and his gov. shutdown), with friends and family.

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

After the night ride at uwharrie my wife decided we needed more light, so this is what I got for my birthday!

photo6-1.jpg

Still haven't installed them yet but this is to the point i am now with the build. It's torn down again having a little paint work done then it will be back to the trail for more fun to be had!

I attempted to swap the stub shafts to the new 35 spline yukons and install the drive flanges yesterday and was fought the entire way. Apparently the PO was a huge fan of mud and not so huge a fan of grease because ever bearing, seal, and u joint was toasted. the u joints had to be pressed out with a 30 ton press and it just broke the end of the cap off before it freed from the axle. then the dust that used to be the needle bearing would come out. Well after 3 trips to oreillys and $200 more dollars I noticed the axle doesn't appear to have any seals on the axle tube either, so i just threw it half way back together. I'm trying to familiarize myself with these axles but have no experience with them. I searches the internet but can't find a good pi of what I need, so if anyone gets a chance I'd appreciate it if you could grab me a pic of the axle tube where it ends and the main shafts exits so I can see what I'm missing.

I attempted to swap the stub shafts to the new 35 spline yukons and install the drive flanges yesterday and was fought the entire way. Apparently the PO was a huge fan of mud and not so huge a fan of grease because ever bearing, seal, and u joint was toasted. the u joints had to be pressed out with a 30 ton press and it just broke the end of the cap off before it freed from the axle. then the dust that used to be the needle bearing would come out. Well after 3 trips to oreillys and $200 more dollars I noticed the axle doesn't appear to have any seals on the axle tube either, so i just threw it half way back together. I'm trying to familiarize myself with these axles but have no experience with them. I searches the internet but can't find a good pi of what I need, so if anyone gets a chance I'd appreciate it if you could grab me a pic of the axle tube where it ends and the main shafts exits so I can see what I'm missing.
I think you are talking about the end of the tube on the front axle like right where the yokes are? There is no seal there. The seal I inside the tube near the differential.

If it had no seals and had any oil in it. It would be leaking all over....if you pull the dif out seals will be right there....when you slid the shaft back in I always put a little grease on splines so less chance of cutting the seal

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

My 60 was pretty rough on one side as well. The spindle bearing was completely trashed. I bought the longfield bushings to replace them when I put it back together.

I bought spindle bearings from oreilley's as well as new precision u joints. I also got new spindle nuts since the jam nut setup didn't even match on both sides and one of them broke during removal. I still need to replace the wheel bearing and inner hub seal on both sides. How's your swap coming along?

Haha. It's hard to stay on track sometimes when you have so many things that are asking to modified! Let me know if you ever need an extra set of hands

Been a while since I had an update so I figured I'd bring this up to speed. The Jeep has been out of commission for a few months now but it is charcoal grey now and the front axle is almost completely rebuilt. Nothing in it was as advertised when I made the trade. When I pulled it apart I found stock shafts throughout and every bearing was dust. It was pulled apart because I bought the 35 spline chromo outers so I threw them in with new beefy u-joints and new bearings. Only thing now is the inners need to come back out and be upgraded to chromoly.

I have started putting things back together now and mounting lights and things of that nature. I didnt like the look of my 12 inch bar out in front of the winch or mounted over it so I hacked the grill and welded a box in it to hold my light. Also mounted Blue LEDs from a police car where the blinkers used to be just because I had them and thought it would be a cool touch on night rides.

Here is the metal work I did on the grill prior to paint

20140204_140858.jpg

This is light mounted. I need to redrill for the light bar to mount in higher so I can angle it further down to match the degree of the headlights so I'm not lighting up tree tops. The blue lights look crooked because they are just half sitting there. They mount straight haha.

20140216_223616.jpg