Let's Play.... What Is That Sound.

Banging my head against the wall with this noise in the jeep.

So far, i rebuilt transmission, checked both speedo lines (one is for a vehicle speed sensor), speedometer, driveshafts, clutch.
It sounds like it is coming from right under the trannycover/floor in the front. It only happens when slowing down to a stop at higher speeds (40+mph) in slower speeds it doesnt make any noise. It happens when in nuetral with clutch in, in nuetral with clutch out, and it has started to doing it without doing anything but letting off the gas to slow down.

The noise is at the end of the video when I am slowing down.

th_VIDEO0229_zpsebcac603.jpg

Drive train is suzuki motor. susuki 5 speed, samurai tcase, dana 44 rear end.

Any ideas?

Sounds pretty similar to my Jeep. My t-18 needs a rebuild and it started making some racket in 4th gear when slowing down from highway speed (55-60). It stops when I downshift. I don't drive my Jeep on the street any more so I've been lazy and just keep running it. Now when I'm in 4th and let off the gas it pops into neutral (at least when I'm in 4low and messing around driving fast-ish).

I'm honestly not 100% sure the noise isn't related to my t-case as it started after I returned from a wheeling trip and found all the bolts for the t-case backed out. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and pull it all out to rebuild the trans, and replace the t-case with the tera-low d20 I have in my garage.

I drove the jeep around with the rear shaft out and the noise is much quieter. Still there but without the driveshaft it isnt amplified. So i will be rebuilding the diff. i hope to get it back together by the end of next month.

thats a pretty rowdy sound from the video for sure. If its only from deceleration, I would check the rear gears for sure and also the pinion bearings on the rear axle.

I already did the outer pinion bearing, but i will do them all to make sure. I cant ask for much since the axle was sitting outside for decades before i pulled it out of the earth. :) But free is free ;)

Sounds a lot like the rattle and whine mine was making before I changed the transfer case this morning. See if you can feel it in the transfer case gear lever.

I have the rear out and am rebuilding it. I hope the sound is gone. I pulled the rear drive shaft and the noise was much less pronounced with no power to the rear and found lots of play on the pinion gear. Now i just have to stop being lazy and set it up. The Tcase is the last thing to look at if it is still there. I didnt want to rebuild the transfer until i had money for the low gear kit.