Welding 8.8 axle mounts

Well Im ready to weld my mounts to my 8.8 and have been talking to a couple different people getting different responses. We have a 110 Hobart with flux core at the house and Ive seen many people in our club use it to weld their axle mounts on and have not seen a problem with them ripping off. However looking on pirate and other welding forums it seems that welding mounts to 1/2 axle tube is a no no with 110. The only other welder I have direct access to is an old craftsman 220 AC only stick welder. I welded stick all summer long and feel comfortable using it but I was using a AC/DC machine and not sure if there is significant difference.

Main question is should I wait and try and use someones 220 that I can find or just go ahead and burn them in with the 110? Also if the AC stick welder seems decent what rod should I go with? We used 6010 roots and 7018 for stringers, only two rods Ive used.

i have used the stick for all my heavy stuff. I have used the 110 to weld 1/4 with no issues,but for an axle housing i would use teh stick. I am not at my place but I usually use 6011.

what size 110 hobart is it? the 140amp? using flux core wire you can actually weld thicker material than straight wire with gas. The flux core burns hotter. check the chart on the welder and what size wire you are using. If i remember correctly .035 flux core wire can weld 3/16 or 1/4.....

You'll be OK with a 110. Just crank up the voltage and burn slowly. Try to weld inside the mounts as well as outside so it's double the penetration if you have any doubt still.

You'll be OK with a 110. Just crank up the voltage and burn slowly. Try to weld inside the mounts as well as outside so it's double the penetration if you have any doubt still.
Well just figured Id follow up a little bit, got the axle all welded up. Welded inside and outside of every mount I could. Ran .035 wire on 40 speed and burned it as slow as I could. I think it turned out pretty decent. Dont have any close up pictures of the welds though.
DSC00320.jpg
under the jeep
IMG_2097.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg

haha, intersting. And ronnie, it might be good to leave the taller springs in the back for when you pack it full of stuff on the trail

wow, they ticketed him for that, they have more tread than tons of cars I see on the roads. Did he do a burnout or something in a parking lot and a cop saw him?