Ford U50

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Question 1:
Can someone please explain to me why the below pictured vehicle is a Ford? Labeled as a Ford U50.

Mystery_zpsecd5f5c8.jpg

Mystery2_zps89e2c288.jpg

The only thing that I can find is in the history of an event called the Camel Trophy.

"The Camel Trophy originated in 1980 with three Jeep-equipped German teams exploring the Amazon. After that first event, the organisers turned to Land Rover and over the course of the next twenty years, all of the Land Rover vehicle range were used. Range Rover, Series III, Defender, Discovery and Freelander vehicles all appeared in the distinctive "sandglow" colour scheme.

List of events and vehicles used
Year / Location / Team Vehicles
1980 / TransAmazonica / Ford U50's (License built Jeep CJ5's)"

Question 2:
Why does this "Camel Trophy" event, also known as the "Olympics of 4x4" only involve Land Rovers ever since it's second year in existence? An Olympics is supposed to find the best at something. Why is it limited to one brand of 4x4? Sounds more like advertising, not an Olympics.

The U50 is a Brazilian made Jeep, licensed for production in Brazil. The first Camel Trophy was in South America so its logical that they sourced locally produced vehicles (import laws in South America can be a bitch). Most manufacturers have locally built versions of their vehicles since it isn't economical to import. Considering, technically, Ford has been building Jeeps from the beginning, it doesn't surprise me that they kept on building licensed versions.

After that, Camel Trophy somehow convinced Land Rover to throw tons and tons of money at this event. Basically, Land Rover paid to play. They also had many support trucks following to keep **** running. While the trucks were pretty much destroyed when they were done, the rovers were out there doing it. However I'm sure just about any truck would be destroyed after participating in something like a camel trophy event. The competitors simply don't care about the equipment. Risk of rollover? Eff it, roll that SOB. Oh water up to the snorkel inlet? Whatever. I wouldn't do that to my truck (well, not again at least).

I'd say that the Camel Trophy isn't a "vehicle Olympics" but it definitely was extremely challenging. Take some time to look on youtube as a number of the challenges are on youtube (usually an hour long or so). Basically, they push people to the limit with challenges and extremely rough terrain. Back then it was ridiculous terrain with minimally modified vehicles (typically Land Rover would supply vehicles with aggressive tires, heavy duty suspension, and stripped down interior and electronics). Lots of trail building, crossing raging rivers, endless mud pits, and crap like that. Seems like the competitors would start the day at 6am and then bust balls until 2am in the morning. Do that every day for a 30 days or however long the challenge was. Not exactly a fun day of wheeling at Gulches.

Except for the river crossings, I'd say if they had trucks on 37s and lockers, that would've made a huge difference. I mean, imagine wheeling a full size SUV with near-stock tires, open diffs, and a wee little turbo diesel engine under the hood. There was a lot of hammer down.