Winch Question

I'm looking to finally get a winch. I'm was already leaning toward Warn, and now they have a rebate in effect for the Christmas season. I'm looking at the M8000 and the VR8000. They have the same specs, except the M has a contactor and the VR has solenoids. I understand the basic physical differences between the two, having built industrial control panels in a former life and used solenoid-type valves for water, air, hydraulics, etc.

My question is which is better for a winch. The price suggests that the M is better with solenoids. I'm open to other winch suggestions, but really I'm mostly seeking winch control knowledge. Thanks in advance.

The m8 does have a higher performance motor than the vr. (Draws less amps at given load) The m8 only recently changed to the contactor control around the time that the vr came out. As if this time we haven't seen many (if any) issues with the new contactor control.

For the prices I've been seeing on Warn lately, I'd be looking at the Zeon line for just a bit more. If you are looking at it from a pure budget standpoint I don't think you can go wrong with the m8000. Not too many years ago you could find a deal on the m8000 for around $500 but it looks like those days are past. I'd take the m8000 over the VR series any day.

I wouldn't say there are benefits of the xd9i over the new Zeons. Obviously it is in the middle as far as capacities go because you have an 8, 10, 12 Zeon. The xd9i still uses solenoids because the contactor does not fit in its integrated winch frame.

I was thinking that the Zeon was the new top of the line, but it seems they are cheaper than the comparable XDi series winches.

For the prices I've been seeing on Warn lately, I'd be looking at the Zeon line for just a bit more. If you are looking at it from a pure budget standpoint I don't think you can go wrong with the m8000. Not too many years ago you could find a deal on the m8000 for around $500 but it looks like those days are past. I'd take the m8000 over the VR series any day.
Do you have any experience with the VR series winch? I run a VR10000 on my 6k lb 80 series and it has served me very well. The only recommendation I have is to go with rope over cable on that big of a winch because the thick cable is a hassle.

I don't, and I'm sure there is nothing wrong with them. I personally run a Tmax that I've had for the past 5 or 6 years. I do have some experience on the trail w/ other people running an m8000 and never had any issues. For the minimal price difference, if I was shopping those 2 specific winches I'd go for the real thing.

Jay had good use with his SmittyBuilt with the rope. They used to be cheap but I think they have gone up in comparison to the rest of the market.

What made you decide to go for the tmaxx over a warn m8000?
I honestly don't recall. I'm sure the more powerful motor was a factor. It was probably cheaper but I couldn't tell you what I paid. I will say that it had worked great. The only time it let me down was when someone who wasn't familiar with the winch pulled hard on the lever trying to engage it and he broke the pin that held the handle in place. Other than that it's worked like a champ.

Spend another 200 and get a warn. Or spend 250 and get a used warn. I have had to rely on a winch in some precarious situations and I would have hated to have wondered if the brake was going to hold. Go Warn.