Drive Shaft Tech

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This video was posted up on another forum and thought it's content was very interesting and would benefit us here also. I thought I would start a new thread so we could have a place to post tips and advice on this topic.

[video=youtube_share;gmV4qwLfOMY]http://youtu.be/gmV4qwLfOMY[/video]

Learn something new everyday. Now for the engineers in the group, why don't I get that pulsing effect from the rear end in my jeep when then input side (the transfer case) is level but the output (the rear axle pinion) is not. Is it because of the CV built into the shaft?

Yeh, I know ... CV (Constant Velocity). I have always known that is what it stood for, but never knew why. Is this why?

This video was posted up on another forum and thought it's content was very interesting and would benefit us here also. I thought I would start a new thread so we could have a place to post tips and advice on this topic.

[video=youtube_share;gmV4qwLfOMY]http://youtu.be/gmV4qwLfOMY[/video]

Learn something new everyday. Now for the engineers in the group, why don't I get that pulsing effect from the rear end in my jeep when then input side (the transfer case) is level but the output (the rear axle pinion) is not. Is it because of the CV built into the shaft?

Yeh, I know ... CV (Constant Velocity). I have always known that is what it stood for, but never knew why. Is this why?
I can't see the video, but you dont get a pulsing effect because your rear axle pinion should be parallel to your driveshaft so that the CV joint is taking the angle out of the shaft. Because you have an offset rear 8.8 axle you actually are experiencing slight pulsing but its not very noticeable.

This is great info for you lifted applications. When you lift your vehicle this is what you are doing to the driveline angles. Great find! :cheers:
cv_angle for JK.JPG
Here is a quick diagram that shows proper orientation for these 2 types of drive shafts. This info is very beneficial when setting pinion angles, and deciding on what drive shaft you need. Remember, we are always here to help 1-866-SHAFT4U!!