Need Help Choosing a pair of Rear Shocks!

Ok so Im in the middle of doing a rear stretch and shock hoops. I recently bought a pair of Skyjacker M95s, which I haven't had any problems with, before I decided to do this mod and with the hoops they'll be too short.. So my predicament is do I just order another set of longer M95s or just say **** it and buy a set of FOX 2.0s? or is there another good reasonably priced shock that I could get? I do a lot of crawlin but also like to haul *** down back roads so I want something that could take a beating, with good response on and off the trail. Trying to go for the best of both worlds, Jeepspeed and crawler. Is the M95 a good shock for all of that or should I just upgrade? Tell me what y'all think!

what price are you getting the m95s for? I dont have any experience with them, but I would think they would be comparable to many of the monotube shocks out nowadays. with the fox shocks they are rebuildable and tunable if you wanted to do that.

what price are you getting the m95s for? I dont have any experience with them, but I would think they would be comparable to many of the monotube shocks out nowadays. with the fox shocks they are rebuildable and tunable if you wanted to do that.
Thats what I'm thinking. If taken care of they might be the last shocks I'll have to buy until I change the set up again which I don't see me doing after this... The M95s are going for 69.99/pc on Qtech, which is where i bought the set thats on there now. Id love to have FOX but is it really worth almost $500 for a pair of shocks?

01tj

That sounds like alot for a shock for hauling *** down a back road. Bilstein 5100s....

That sounds like alot for a shock for hauling *** down a back road. Bilstein 5100s....
Well a big reason I was going with FOX was for the remote reservoir.. Though I understand there are other shocks with remote resys. I don't know yet.. I think Im just going to wait till I get everything back together and take some measurements.. Get what I can get closest to my measurements and deal with it.. Its not like im a pro and can tell little differences you know?

The reservoir adds fluid volume which helps dissipate heat and resist fading. That's my understanding at least. Unless you are going fast over bumps I don't think it offers any worthwhile advantage.

More travel and better response.. I mean is there not that much of an advantage over mono tubes?
More travel? How so?

Unless you are racing, you don't need them.

The resi does add fluid and will dissipate heat better because of that, lots of times they can be adjustable as well. I don't think anyone on this board will ever go fast enough to worry about them. Kirby doesn't count, he's not frequent enough...lol

And, i'm not trying to be a dick to the OP, just sounds like you are getting ready to spend a lot of money on things you will not need. I'd get some Bilstein 5150's valved for whatever spring type (leaf/coil) you are using and rock on.

I see your point and makes a lot of sense.. I just now thought of the 5150s and they would make a great shock. Im just going to have to work out the measurements now. Won't be able to do that till its all put together. But from what y'all have said I'll probably go with either the 5150s or M95s depending on what the measurements turn out to be.. Thanks for the help guys! Will let y'all know what the end result is.

Last edited:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What length are you looking for? I have a set of Teraflex shocks that I put on my jeep and had to pull right back off because they were too long. Only one trip on them.

What length are you looking for? I have a set of Teraflex shocks that I put on my jeep and had to pull right back off because they were too long. Only one trip on them.
What are the lengths? Are they just their basic shocks? Im still not sure what I'll need till i get it all back together and measure but I have a number in my head that might work just not for sure yet..

Last edited: