My XJ's Big Boy Stage

I figured since I was going into whole different stage with my XJ I decided I'd start a thread over here too.. I bought this Jeep February of 2010 pretty much stock and she's come along way. I'm starting to get into more difficult trails and the set up though good isn't really going to hold up for long. My main plans is to put a wider/beefier set of axles under it to handle 37s with ease. I've got a HP44 out of an old f100 that Im going to use just need to find something to match it for the rear. I don't play on the skinny pedal that much so a built set of 44s with 37s should suit me fine.. I also just picked up a Dana 300 that needs to be rebuilt that is going under Jeep as money will allow. I plan on doing some 4:1s with it mainly but may double it, not sure yet on that. There will also be a cage put in but probably won't be till next winter, we shall see. The first thing Im doing for this next stage is a stretch and shock hoops in the rear. I'm basically doing a 2" leaf pad stretch and opening up the wheel well to fit a 37 at a slightly lower lift. Ive already go my shock hoops and lower mounts. Just need to order the rear frame stiffeners so I have something to weld the hoops too and get some steel for the custom quarter armor I'm doing. Heres the link to my first build thread over on JeepForum if you want to see how its got to this point: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rockdrummer93s-2001-xj-build-1133356/

How she sits now:
IMG_4290_zps7411ea97.jpg

The shock hoops and lower mounts:
IMG_4535_zpsa4f2e583.jpg

IMG_4527_zpse73aa615.jpg

The HP44 and D300:
F74E8BA0-B9B2-4649-AD19-7CBDFE1C2230-23794-000017C8836CD4EF.jpg

IMG_4509_zpscfe43101.jpg

Frame plates came in today! Just a matter of time now for when I pull her in the garage and start tearing her down.. Was getting some transmission fits today. Wouldn't shift out of first, but after playing with a scanner for a little bit got it fixed but I don't know for how long.. I guess we'll see

IMG_4596_zps87c2bff8.jpg

Pulled the Jeep in the garage this evening and starting tearing it down.. Going to work on it a little bit here and there through the week and most of the day on the weekend.. There is a Durhamtown trip coming up at the end of october I'm going to try and have it ready for but we'll see..

IMG_4612_zps2322f4eb.jpg

IMG_4614_zpscaf5435d.jpg

IMG_4615_zps9a1726de.jpg

Only going to be able to get 1.5" out of it instead of the 2" I had thought..
IMG_4621_zps849b52ef.jpg

Going to be a nice project....I'm still trying to get my '99 XJ to your current starting point, but something always seems to come up.
Thanks! yeah Im still a little nervous cutting this much into the body but hoping it turns out right. And yeah I know what you mean.. If i didn't have my Dad's Jeep to drive while he is out of town this project wouldn't even be happening..

Got a little more done with the XJ today.. Since I noticed I couldn't get more then 1.5" of stretch out of the leaf perches I have. I ordered a set of ruff stuff 2+ perches, which will give me 1-3" of stretch off the bat. Thanks TJGUZZY! So pulled the axle today so when they come in I can have them installed. Also started with the rear lower cut and fold. Was only able to get one side semi done. Ran out of cut off wheels and need some rivets to finish.

IMG_4624_zpsd78e462c.jpg

IMG_4625_zpsd122d091.jpg

IMG_4626_zps2c0c798f.jpg

IMG_4628_zpsd214524f.jpg

New brackets came in yesterday. These things are extremely beefy and I'm quite pleased with them.. Dropped the axle off yesterday as well to have them installed.. should have it back today and possibly back under the jeep by tonight..

IMG_4664_zps362a262b.jpg

IMG_4666_zpsba93be18.jpg

IMG_4667_zps5a278946.jpg

Fit in the back of the TJ
IMG_4668_zps90bc8711.jpg

How did you determine what angle to have the installer set them at? Also what are your plans for installing the d300? Flip or new alum case. ...

How did you determine what angle to have the installer set them at? Also what are your plans for installing the d300? Flip or new alum case. ...
I just told them to set them at the same angle as the old ones were.. They had put the old ones on when I did my gears and know my rig and what Im doing to it so I'm sure they'll set them right. And as for the D300 I'm most likely just going to flip it. An alum case is a little out of my range. Im trying to do this without spending too much because I the only reason why Im doing it is because my 231 is starting to go bad. I'd like to throw some 4:1s in it but thats only if the funds allow. Mainly just want to get it rebuilt and in the Jeep as quick as possible but not till this stretch is done.

Got the axle back today and back under the Jeep. Haven't got everything hooked back up yet just enough to sit it on its own weight to get an idea of where the tires sit so I can start cutting.. Going to be taking my half inch block out since these brackets sit a good bit higher then the old ones. My only issue is that RuffStuff didn't do a very good job tapping the plates.. I had to spend about an hour re-tapping and cleaning up the threads. Luckily enough for me my old boss had a 5/8 18 tap he let me borrow, I would have hated to actually have to buy one that big.. Other then that Im pleased with these leaf brackets so far.. Won't do a full review till she's all finished and Im driving it again..

IMG_4686_zpsa89c93ec.jpg

IMG_4687_zps416d617f.jpg

IMG_4688_zps14a49f1e.jpg

Teaser pic
IMG_4692_zpsb404fef5.jpg

Thought about running some slider boxes on this rig, looks kinda tall?
I've thought about it a while back. But I've decided not too, They look pretty cool but I see them wearing and bottoming out quick. It is sitting a little high right now but I plan on lowering it starting with removing the half inch block in my leaf pack then going with a 3" inch spring maybe even less still not sure. Main issue is that these new leaf pads sit a lot higher then the other ones. I also have been planning on doing a flex shackle later after this is all done. So I should be able to work out my shackle angle and length when I do that.

I've thought about it a while back. But I've decided not too, They look pretty cool but I see them wearing and bottoming out quick. It is sitting a little high right now but I plan on lowering it starting with removing the half inch block in my leaf pack then going with a 3" inch spring maybe even less still not sure. Main issue is that these new leaf pads sit a lot higher then the other ones. I also have been planning on doing a flex shackle later after this is all done. So I should be able to work out my shackle angle and length when I do that.
those dang flex shackles are nothing but trouble from what I have seen. All they do is make the rig unload at funny times and buck like bronco when climbing.

those dang flex shackles are nothing but trouble from what I have seen. All they do is make the rig unload at funny times and buck like bronco when climbing.
I think you're talking revolver shackles? Im actually talking about welding a Johnny Joint to my shackle boxes and running a custom YJ/CJ style shackle. That way there is less bind and more flex in the spring. A lot like the yota guys do with their rigs.

I think you're talking revolver shackles? Im actually talking about welding a Johnny Joint to my shackle boxes and running a custom YJ/CJ style shackle. That way there is less bind and more flex in the spring. A lot like the yota guys do with their rigs.
10-4 yeah, that will be much better than those revolver scissor shackles.