Cheap Under Seat TJ storage solution 1997-2002

Stumbled upon this project online and thought it was pretty cool.

What you will need:
-Buy (2) 12" paint trays $4.99/each
-Buy 1 can of plastic paint in your favorite color (optional) about $5
-Sawzall or hack saw
-1 inch wood drill bit and drill
-Speaker box carpet and spray adhesive (optional)

Step 1 - take the trays and cut off the support feet leaning forward
step 1.jpg

step 1a.jpg

step 2-4.jpg

Step 2 - Carefully drill a hole so that you can stick your finger in there and pull the tray out from under the seat. I used a 1 inch wood bit, be careful when you get to the point where you are ready to punch out the entire circle, the bit can catch and rough cut the circle. (I used a one inch bit, pick one that works for you.)

step 5.jpg

Step 3 - Test fit them empty

step 6.jpg

Step 4 - Take all of your great stuff and fill up your trays and test fit the trays with all of your stuff.

step 7-9.jpg

I was really trying to find black trays because I wanted them to blend in and be less visible but I was unsuccessful so I had to paint them. For those of you rocking orange Wranglers, you may want to leave it like this.

Step 5 - (optional) Clean the dust and finger prints off of the trays with the cleaning spay/product/method of choice.

painting.jpg

I wanted to keep the paint from potentially scratching off and also wanted to try to keep things from sliding around and making noise. I also wanted these trays to blend in a little more so I wrapped them in some extra black speaker box carpet.

Step 6 - (optional) Take speaker box carpet (color of your choice) and use some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and line the inside of the trays. I also lined the bottom of the tray to keep it from sliding around under the seat.

Trays carpeted.jpg

FINAL TRAYS.jpg

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Um, what will keep them from wandering all over the place? I have a feeling they will be up under the front seats in no time.

Step 6 - (optional) Take speaker box carpet (color of your choice) and use some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and line the inside of the trays. I also lined the bottom of the tray to keep it from sliding around under the seat.
Id say put some velcro on the front edge.

from the other people that did it online, it looks like when its done in a jeep with carpet, it wedges really tight with the seat and it wont move. But I'm thinking about a bungy coord from each seat mount in front of the two trays.