What axles are in my jeep?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
After the trip up to Bumpus Cove with the Mid Carolina Jeepers Club yesterday, I have found a lot of weeknesses on my Jeep that I need to work on. But first, I need to figure out what I am working with.

The following question may be difficult to answer since we have discovered an oddity. I assumed since I bought it used that it was stock except for the 10 inch wide 31 inch tires. But a couple of people noticed that there is a Transfer Case drop kit on it. Also after market control arms. It is assumed that the Jeep had a lift on it before and may have been taken off to sell it.

What axles are on my Jeep. It is a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Can I provide pictures that will help identify? What was on it originally. What should I look for to identify that they have been modified.

One thing I do know, they don't have lockers in them. I proved that on the trail. And that is why I am asking the question. I want to add air lockers, but I don't want to modify weak axles that I will need to replace with stronger ones in the near future.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Greg, good wheeling with you yesterday. YJs and non-Rubicon TJs use a D30 front and D35 rear. Most people don't recommend putting money into the D35 because they are regarded as weak and prone to failure. Im pretty sure you have the factory axles. if you do a google search there is a picture of the dif covers for various axles and that will give you clear knowledge of what you have.

yup, looks like along with the dents in your oil pan you got stock coils and shocks, a tcase drop, procomp lower control arms in the front, open diffs. dana 30 and d35 probably with 3.07s.

my suggestion is do a 2" budget boost, perhaps a 1" body lift, put on some 7" or 8" jeep canyon or ravine rims and some 31" mud terrains.

If you stay with 31s you can make the 3.07s work, but as larry mentioned dont sink any money in that 35. If you have any questions let us know. You can probably find a bb kit used for pretty cheap, or you can buy a new one with some Old Man Emu shocks and it will ride GREAT. I guess we need to know a budget before we start suggesting mods.:grin:

Ya I agree with brooks all you need is a 2in budget boost and a 1in body and go 8 wides on wheels even if you get soft 8 steel wheels but alloy are light weight and some 31in muds. Their are many different tires you can go with but I love my km2s because they are great on the road and trail. and I would not go larger than 31s unless you want to pay for larger gears

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Can air lockers be put in to an axle (say my current ones) and then moved to a set of new currie rock jock dana 60s? I haven't looked to see if the lockers are made specific for an axle size or what. This may be a totally stupid question.

Can air lockers be put in to an axle (say my current ones) and then moved to a set of new currie rock jock dana 60s? I haven't looked to see if the lockers are made specific for an axle size or what. This may be a totally stupid question.
Check this out...might be pretty good set up for you and you can get the stock gearing in it for less cash...Plus your sport probably has 3.73s stock (check the front axle tag to verify) and you wont have to regear it either

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-2763540-ford-8-8-rear-axle-bolt-in-tj-assembly.html

with axles: it depends on how much money you wanna spend.
theres a guy selling a TJ D44 Rear on CL for $800 it would a direct bolt in..
i know a guy in GA selling a XJ d44 for $300
and theres a kingpin 60 for$1200

point is.. axles get expensive..if you want bolt in.. find someone selling rubicon axles.. it might require you to drive out to VA or something but it might be worth it.
If you want 60's then expect to fork out some $ for the pair..

Mark

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Unfortunately, I have been sidetracked into a divorce. So everything is currently on hold until I get my life figured out.

Wow..>Sorry to hear that man...If you need anything from the group let us know....

On a side note, I am upgrading my rear axle soon to a 8.8, so my 35 with 4.56 gears and a Detroit trutrack will be for sale, and I will cut ya a deal and help install it if you want. If you look, you can find high pinion D30's with 4.56 gears in them for under 200 bucks and are a bolt right in. Throw a lockright in there, and you are golden. However, with 4.56 gears, you are looking at 33's and a 2-3" lift with 1-1.25" BL. I also have the 7" jeep rims I had on my rig at Bumpus for sale for 125 for all 4. If you want them, they are yours..

Again, sorry on the divorce...It sucks... Shane.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
OK, the project is back on track. So let's clarify. I am looking to begin building up my Jeep (2002 TJ) to handle the trails and possibly race next year. Working up the plan has basically come down to the axles. If I don't replace those, nothing else that I do is worth a crap. So with that in mind, I am reaching out to you guys for help. If money was not a concern, what axles should I put under this so I don't have to "upgrade" later? Dana 60s, Corporate, ford 88, 10 bolt ..... I'm sure there will be many different opinions. Please help with some reasons why your suggestion will fit my build. Even though I am going to build this pretty extreme, I do want to drive it on the road so keep that in mind. Thanks for your help.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Also, if I go the route of a Dana 60, should I consider a brand like Currie, Strange or the like? I want them to be bulletproof, not junk yard pieces thrown together for cost sake.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If money is not object and you want to go big, you can order a set of rock jock 60's. But, you can get stronger axles cheaper going the junkyard route. GM 14 bolt rear and 60 front is very common/popular.

If you're looking for a more of a street/trail rig on 35s, a Ford 8.8 rear and Dana 44 with chromoly shafts would do just fine.