Buying a new Jeep

I've owned jeeps for years - current is a 1986 CJ-7 that I rebuilt from the frame up in 2002.

I am looking for a new 2014 as a daily driver and have a few questions...

1. Is there a new version coming out anytime soon?
2. I heard the early 3.6 had some issues but new production is sorted out?
3. Is there any online order guide available with colors and options?
4. Can anyone recommend a dealer is South Carolina to order from? I am in the Lancaster area.
5. Probably leaning towards an Unlimited Rubicon as I would put the Dana 44's in anyway...thoughts on this vs Sport?

Thanks guys!

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
JT's in Lexington does a ton of business and probably has an advantage on price because of volume, unless you'd rather deal with a small town type dealer. If you think you'd do 44's anyway, the Rubicon is worth the extra money.

44's....all the rears on the Jk's are 44's. The rubicon front 44 is a hybrid, yes a 44 center section but the rest of the axle isn't 44 material. The transfer case with the 4:1 low ratio and the factory lockers in both axles in the Rubicon are the other main upgrades. Maybe you could build a true front 44 and add lockers to better suit your needs.

44's....all the rears on the Jk's are 44's. The rubicon front 44 is a hybrid, yes a 44 center section but the rest of the axle isn't 44 material. The transfer case with the 4:1 low ratio and the factory lockers in both axles in the Rubicon are the other main upgrades. Maybe you could build a true front 44 and add lockers to better suit your needs.
This and save 10k on retail.....

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

What are your plans with it once you buy? Knowing what you want to do with it would help a lot in recommending you what to buy. I could also help you pick out what mods to do for what you plan to use the jeep for.

Thank you. I appreciate the offer.

My biggest concern was picking a good dealership and I don't know much about the ones in SC as I am just moving there.

I had also read a lot of posts regarding Rubicon vs. Sport and they seem pretty much split down the middle. I wouldn't touch it for a couple of years as I have a pretty nice CJ that I did 10 years ago and is basically brand new (5K miles since the frame off). However, I don't trust it for longer hauls and I can't use my other car for any kind of daily commute so I figured another Jeep would be nice....either that or a Tacoma pickup that might haul an ATV.

The new orange color is pretty nice and I heard something about them bringing back purple too.

If you can spring for it and you plan to take it offroad, why not do the rubicon? Also, you mentioned the JKU, but just to mention the 2DR jeeps do not all have the d44 rear axle as far as I know.

Shewwww, lots of bad info here. All jks have a 44 rear. All rubis have a 44 front. It is a real deal 44. It's actually better than the old school 44 because the ring gear is bigger. It all boils down to how far you are going with the jeep. They are heavy pigs. The stock 44s are only good to about a 35. If you are going bigger get a sport and run dynatracs. If you are running just general trails the Tcase in the sport is a better option because the 4:1 is too low for cruising. A sport is good for 33s-35s and milder trail riding with the traction control. If you are full on rock crawling then the 4:1 is great and so is the auto disconnecting swaybar. You just need to evaluate your plans. I've seen alot of guys buy rubis and then over build them and end up with almost no original rubi parts, they could have started with a sport. Call Ike Traylor or Josh Moore at Big O dodge in Greenville. Great guys and can work the whole deal over the phone. Tell em Jim sent you. They sell alot of jeeps and the owner is a fellow wheeler.

Yes the rubi runs bigger shafts in the front. They make great mild wheelers on 35's or 37's if your nice to it. That being said if you have no desire to wheel it I don't think I would spend the money on a rubi, but it's not my money.