Hot Start Missfire

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My LJ has had a hot restart issue a few times since I've had it. If you drive for a while and shut if off and it sits for 10-15 minutes sometimes it
will misfire badly when restarted and sometimes die. After 15 seconds or so, it's fine. If you start it back up immediately its fine, or if it has time to cool off its fine. It only has problems when it has sat for a few minutes but not long enough to cool. It has never set a code but it did today, misfire on #3.
I started researching and found this TSB:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf

It is exactly what mine's doing so I plan to buy the little insulator if I can find it, but anyone else have this issue?

It's the ethanol fuel. It is heat soaking the fuel rail and center injectors. Almost like it is boiling the ethanol out of the fuel and vapor locking those injectors. Insulate the rail and injectors. Or run non ethanol fuel.

My 01 did it bad during the summer while trail riding. Wrapp ed the center two injectors with spark plug boot insulation hose and it only does it every once in awhile when really hot out.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thanks for confirming Joe. I stopped by autozone but the only insulation they had was an Accel plug wire set that was $25 and I didn't want to spend that to cut them up.