7 pin trailer plug location

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've got one of these plugs for the LJ: http://www.amazon.com/Flagline-4718...50677&sr=8-3&keywords=7+pin+trailer+connector.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it where it's out of the way. The box face is 3" square. Initial plan was to drill a 1 7/8" hole through the bumper and set it in. But, the piece of the plug that extends out the back is 1 7/8" long. So, to set it in the bumper, I would have to drill a 1 7/8" hole through the front and back layers of the bumper (2x4x3/16" box) and approximately a 1" hole through the cross member for the wiring out the back.

Second option would be a piece of 3" square tube with the front plated for the plug to be set in, 2" long to cover the plastic piece. Once the box is made out of the 3" square, I could stick it under the bumper, or to the face of the bumper. To the face of the bumper would still require a good size hole for all of the wiring...

Any other suggestions?

dont know what your using it for but mines just zip tied to the frame, when i need it i cut the zip ties and plug it up, when im done it goes back on the frame haha.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Since I got sooooo much feedback and suggestions here, I decided to try something different.

I cut some 3" square tube at 45 degrees and did a half recess of the plug. It turned out ok. I think if I did it over I would make it less of an angle to the bumper, but I think it's a good compromise for ease of mounting and protection from trail obstacles.

IMAG0160_zps72db1f8a.jpg

IMAG0161_zps415963f0.jpg

IMAG0162_zps968de36d.jpg

IMAG0163_zpsc90d6b42.jpg

Since I got sooooo much feedback and suggestions here, I decided to try something different.

I cut some 3" square tube at 45 degrees and did a half recess of the plug. It turned out ok. I think if I did it over I would make it less of an angle to the bumper, but I think it's a good compromise for ease of mounting and protection from trail obstacles.

IMAG0160_zps72db1f8a.jpg

IMAG0161_zps415963f0.jpg

IMAG0162_zps968de36d.jpg

IMAG0163_zpsc90d6b42.jpg

I just saw this thread, It looks good. Why did you go at an angle? just to help the cords line up?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I just saw this thread, It looks good. Why did you go at an angle? just to help the cords line up?
It gave more room for the wire to be pushed towards the end of the bumper and let the whole thing not stick out as much. All of the connections are done with watertight connectors inside the bumper with only a 1/2 hole in the back of the bumper and crossmember.