YJ 4 cyl inherent issues?

Well just over a week after blowing the head gasket on the 4runner, i am driving home in the YJ and the frickin thing dies in the same location as the 4runner. Go figure. But this is different. The motor just seemed to die. No bogging, no popping. Just like it turned itself off. I got out and pushed it to the side and then looked under the hood. nothing noticable. I have pressure on the fuel rail and i have air getting so i am looking at spark. I jumped back in to the jeep and it did start back up. Great, i clsoe the hood and head down the road. about 2 miles later it does the same thing and i am on the side of the road. This time it did not restart, i ended up calling for a tow. After it sat and the truck was on its way i tried it again and it actually sputtered like it was going to fire, but it didnt and i left it for the truck. And i knew once i got home it would start right up. Which it did once off the flatbed. So now it is in the driveway and i am looking at possible ignition culprits. It seems to me like something is getting hot and then i lose ignition. The easy one is the ignition coil, i have not checked it, buti making a list of things to check. Are there other inherent issues with the YJs and their 4 cyl pertaining to the ignition system?

Did some more looking. I do not have a control module so i tested the coil. it had more resistance than should so i repalced it. Cranked up the jeep and it fired up nice. Held the throttle down to 2500 rpms and after about 5 minutes it died. And would not restart. i checked for spark and it was there. I grabbed my fuel pressure gauge and i had fuel spurt out the schrader valve when threading the gauge on. I turn the key to "on" but i get no pressure. Crank the the starter and still nothing. So now it is looking like a fuel pump issue which pisses me off since my stepdad had it replaced last fall. I would think the bad fuel pump would not just kill the motor but have it hiccup and let you know it is running out of fuel. My motor just died without warning. Continuing on to fix the thing. GGGGRRRRR

Hmmm. Thats odd... ive got 240k on my 92 4cyl and no issues such as yours. Maybe its got some trash being sucked up and blocking the fuel flow in the tank? They are steel tanks. May have some rust in it ???

Sent from my Obama phone....

I have a plastic tank. So no rust. Fortuatnely since the skid plate is rotted to hell. Looks like i am dropping the tank tomorrow. sucks that i just filled it up. gonna be heavy

Well i got a verdict. And a very odd one it is.

The fuel pump is fine, but the connector from the main harness to the fuel pump was not right. My stepdad had the fuel pump replaced last fall, and it looks like whoever did the job either replaced the connector and it did not fit. The male and female connections did not by any means fit into each other, so the connectors were just touching each other at the edges and after a while i guess the vibrations made them seperate. I had a nice 3 pin connector and i wired it in and it connects real nice. So i have a working fuel pump but also a worknig fuel gauge. i am so glad this did not happen while driving it back from Florida, that would have been a BITCH to figure out. So now to install the tank without causing another Eco nightmare in my garage.