Build Advice

I have a bone stock '81 Scrambler, 258 I6, SR4 trans, yadayadayada. I am undecided whether to build this thing for trips and trails or skip the investment to make it dependable and buy a late model like the ones I see on here being driven to the trails and camping.
This is my first jeep build and want all the advice on the build to make it dependable and road worthy at the same time.
Or advise to leave it stock and buy later model.......

CaneCreek

if you want to drive an older jeep I seen no problems with it. It may be more maintenance and if its carbed it probably wont be as efficient, but its all in what you want really.

Last edited:
Going to have to build the motor with 65k miles on it. At least rings and a valve job. It has the usual CJ rust in the floor pans and elsewhere. It is carbed but heck i get 15mpg with it running like it is. I plan to make it better. The thing was given to me by a family member. I'm not that much money into it. Just motor stuff, carb, cam, etc and tires. I am in the planning stages of a build, lift axles and such but I want the motor done first. I plan to set it on a RE 4.5" lift but if I go any further such as axles I want advice on what to install to make this thing as dependable as I can. Ol' Lady don't care too much for walking out because of a pooped out jeep heap.
CaneCreek

Going to have to build the motor with 65k miles on it. At least rings and a valve job. It has the usual CJ rust in the floor pans and elsewhere. It is carbed but heck i get 15mpg with it running like it is. I plan to make it better. The thing was given to me by a family member. I'm not that much money into it. Just motor stuff, carb, cam, etc and tires. I am in the planning stages of a build, lift axles and such but I want the motor done first. I plan to set it on a RE 4.5" lift but if I go any further such as axles I want advice on what to install to make this thing as dependable as I can. Ol' Lady don't care too much for walking out because of a pooped out jeep heap.
CaneCreek
that being said, I would find a TJ or YJ thats fuel injected and start there.

Like I said earlier, it was given to me by a family member. He bought it new in 1981. He gave it to me with the stipulations that I could not cut it up or sell it. If I sold it I would have to split the money with him. I enjoy driving it and have big ideas of building it for mild trails and camping. Probably would not hit any wild stuff or try to beat it up. The reason it came to mind about getting a late model was that a friend mentioned it as an alternative. He has a'94 YJ with a 4 banger. It is very nice and solid but 4 cyl and no lift but can be bought for 5k. With 5 grand I could really make the CJ nice. This is where I keep hitting a wall.

Like I said earlier, it was given to me by a family member. He bought it new in 1981. He gave it to me with the stipulations that I could not cut it up or sell it. If I sold it I would have to split the money with him. I enjoy driving it and have big ideas of building it for mild trails and camping. Probably would not hit any wild stuff or try to beat it up. The reason it came to mind about getting a late model was that a friend mentioned it as an alternative. He has a'94 YJ with a 4 banger. It is very nice and solid but 4 cyl and no lift but can be bought for 5k. With 5 grand I could really make the CJ nice. This is where I keep hitting a wall.
With 5 grand you can get into a tj, which is much more desirable than a YJ from my understanding of what you want to do

if you want to run the CJ, you can definitely make it work, its all in what you want to do. It would be nice to have the extra room of a scrambler!

I really hate to see Scramblers cut/beat up. If I had the coin to spare i'd suggest selling it to me and buyin a TJ to start out with. IMO it's a better platform for a driver/wheeler.

Do the scrambler. Toss old engine, run more modern injected engine. Mild lift 33x10.50s or 285s on some 16 inch wheels. One piece kit in that amc20 and rear selectable locker.....mild wheel and camp to your delight in old school jeep awesomeness.

Few vehicles have or will ever match an old cj for plain cool factor...especially a a scrambler.

Do the scrambler. Toss old engine, run more modern injected engine. Mild lift 33x10.50s or 285s on some 16 inch wheels. One piece kit in that amc20 and rear selectable locker.....mild wheel and camp to your delight in old school jeep awesomeness.

Few vehicles have or will ever match an old cj for plain cool factor...especially a a scrambler.
I'd hit a "Like" button if there was one.

Fix the rust. Work on the motor. Run the axles and replace "if" they break. The one piece axle conversion is something you should do for the model 20, or at least make sure the rear hub is torqued properly. Adding fuel injection would be a good option. Jimbo has nailed, they have the cool factor.

OK we decided will build the CJ8 but want your help and advice. We want to trail ride and camp with the best. We can build a helluva trail rig with 5 grand. Its not in that bad of shape. Just a little rust and smoke. Lots of room versus Late model jeeps plus the nostalgia. Send me all your build ideas.

CaneCreek

5.3/NV 3500/Dana 300 (or whatever gear driven case that will bolt up easily).
Built D-44's for the cheap factor. I would suggest FJ-62 axles but that takes away from the Jeep part of it...
Good quality 4" leaf springs (spring under)
35's on a 17" wheel
Good seats and a cage.
Original styling with the paint. Keep the graphics

If you do most of the work yourself you should come in well under budget.

Thats what I would do if I were building a old CJ again...

5.3/NV 3500/Dana 300 (or whatever gear driven case that will bolt up easily).
Built D-44's for the cheap factor. I would suggest FJ-62 axles but that takes away from the Jeep part of it...
Good quality 4" leaf springs (spring under)
35's on a 17" wheel
Good seats and a cage.
Original styling with the paint. Keep the graphics

If you do most of the work yourself you should come in well under budget.

Thats what I would do if I were building a old CJ again...

I would agree with all of that, minus the 17" wheels. Why not go with a 15 which would be cheaper and be more fitting for an old CJ?