Dana 44 front inner axle seals

So I put new ones in when I installed my axle, but I suppose repeated removal of the shaft, and dirt and grime have got the better of them. Mason tried to replace his recently but kept getting the wrong part from the parts stores.

This is what the seal I installed looked like 5 years ago, is this the one the parts stores are handing out?

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-22054-d44-inner-axle-shaft-seal-each.html

It seems the early 80s waggy axles were a bit of a bastid child when it comes to seals, some of them had a ford sized seal.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbie-general-4x4-discussion/197424-dana-44-inner-axle-seal.html

I cant remember what year mine is. I bought the seal when i worked at advance auto and I matched it to what I had. Dam.

Marcus, have you replaced yours?

I figure when I'm doing the balljoints may as well replace those seals too since they are leaking.

Whats the mystery? There seems to only be two sizes. Every driver drop waggy axle I've seen took the larger seal. Some of the wide track driver drop axles I've seen took the smaller ford seal. Probably has to do with axle tube diameter and wall thickness.

01tj

I put new ones in my Dana 44 when I built it, but now one seems to be leaking agian. I wish someone made an outter axle seal like they do for the Dana 30s....

All of the looks of the seals are gonna look different per manufacturer. But mine looked very similar to those. I have a set of "waggy" 44 seals in my glove box right now that you can have. If you order those, and have mine handy, then you know you will have a right set of seals ready to go in.

Whats the mystery? There seems to only be two sizes. Every driver drop waggy axle I've seen took the larger seal. Some of the wide track driver drop axles I've seen took the smaller ford seal. Probably has to do with axle tube diameter and wall thickness.
From reading on pirate it looks like it uses the ford seal like you said. I just want to have the correct one on hand when I have it torn down.

mason, can you measure the outside diameter of the seals you have in your glove box?

From reading on pirate it looks like it uses the ford seal like you said. I just want to have the correct one on hand when I have it torn down.

mason, can you measure the outside diameter of the seals you have in your glove box?

So yours is the smaller ford seal? The narrow track waggy axle normally uses the larger seal like the first picture link you showed. Just go buy both sizes and use the ones you need and return the others afterwards.

So yours is the smaller ford seal? The narrow track waggy axle normally uses the larger seal like the first picture link you showed. Just go buy both sizes and use the ones you need and return the others afterwards.
So the parts store should have both sizes? I havent had a chance to look it up on the parts store website. Do yall carry them at clemson 4 wheel?

i have the smaller ones in my jeep Brooks, so 2.25 i suppose. I would order them from bronco graveyard or where ever. I ended up getting ripped off (25 bucks a seal) from the parts store but i was in a bind and needed to get it done. And if i recall correctly advanced was the only parts store that even had them.

i have the smaller ones in my jeep Brooks, so 2.25 i suppose. I would order them from bronco graveyard or where ever. I ended up getting ripped off (25 bucks a seal) from the parts store but i was in a bind and needed to get it done. And if i recall correctly advanced was the only parts store that even had them.

I just ordered some from Clemson 4wheel. I'm going to pick them up this saturday at the poker run.