Jeep Audio.

Anyone running a Insta-trunk with a sub inside? I have got to do something with the poor audio i have while blasting my radio with the top off. :grinpimp:

its a jeep, I just got used to mediocre music and its been great ever since haha
Thats just not a Valid option.....I grew up around audio equipment that individual components cost more than my first vehicle...My brain is programmed for good sound, it barfs with the crap i have in the jeep...

I ran a cheap sub for years in my YJ under an trunk. Seemed to work well. I could hear it well driving 65 down the road. It wasn't anything special, but it did make a difference.

I picked up a pair of the 400w 6x9's from Walmart a few weeks ago and that flat out rock. I don't know if its cause I put them in some custom Toyota half doors with no holes in it anywhere or what but I was really suprised.

Wake tower speakers. They are made to run in the open. Aim them where you want the sound to be and rock out. I'm running a pair of Bazooka tubbies in my Jeep with an mbquart marine amp and they sound pretty good IMO. Add a sub if you want a little more bass but mine is pretty good w/o a sub.

Have you seen where the guys will build a sub box in the frame of the seat for a TJ? It will make a heavy bitch even heavier but I've read good outcome from it.

Jeepforum has a lot of audio stuff for tj's. like brooks said, when I drove mine I just kinda got over having awesome audio.

Have you seen where the guys will build a sub box in the frame of the seat for a TJ? It will make a heavy bitch even heavier but I've read good outcome from it.

Jeepforum has a lot of audio stuff for tj's. like brooks said, when I drove mine I just kinda got over having awesome audio.
I looked at the seat option(not a fan), I think im going to grab a 10" driver off Clist and try one of these http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_selector.aspx?catid=373&parid=369 so many challenges with audio equipment in a jeep: open environment, limited mounting options, theft prevention ...etc. Does anyone have a opinion on the instatrunk? I'm starting to move away from the idea and fab up something on the passenger side of the "trunk area", to resemble a instatrunk but use half the amount of space. O and im trying to get all this put together to be able to jam out during the Clemson Poker run.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Did you see the instatrunk I bought and returned? I thought it was crap. Didn't fit at all like I expected and no where near weather tight. I like how the factory sub is in mine. It's only a 6.5 and not very loud, but its pointed directly at you, its secure, and its under the top even with a bikini on. I think Tuffy makes a console that will hold a 10"?

have you tested it out since you put in the new soundbar and front dash speakers? I guess I just dont know what I'm missing, but mine seems to sound pretty good after I put new speakers in the dash and sound bar pods.

I have a pair of Kicker CVT 6" subs on the OE amp. Decent sounding, fairly cheap, and the only 2ohm 6" subs I could find.
I'm soon to upgrade to a single DVC 8" sub in the ammo can console.

Do you already have an instatrunk?

I have one laying around I need to get rid of. I'd thought about putting 2 shallow mounting 10s into it but never got around to it.

I never liked the idea of the seat box bc its already so dang heavy as is.

No Instatrunk, I got a Smoking deal on a JL Sub(Craigslist,going to pick it up this afternoon), Its not marine but i don't feel its necessary, It has a injection molded plastic cone and Rubber surround. If the speaker is good im going to buy PBR300X2 Micro Amp, Its about 300watts RMS with a footprint of 1.53" x 4.25" x 6.75" For low end. Im Running nice Boston Coaxials in the front and some crappy Walmart pioneers in the sound bar, im thinking after i upgrade the Sub/Amp(I currently have two rockford 8's they just dont do the job and take up all the room in the "trunk") I'm going to do the 6.5 mod to my soundbar and run a set of Boston Components with Rockford PBR300X4 for the door Speakers, All this i hope to have packaged in half the space behind the rear seat. Im working on ideas now for the Speaker enclosure, Im thinking about using MDF(I know about the moisture issue) but coating the entire box with either a Polyurathane or Fiberglass resin. Then hitting it with the thickest bed liner(open to recommendations) i can shoot out of a can. Then Top it off with a ABS Plastic cover over the top of the box and Amplifier(s).

I ran a single JL Audio 10" sub in a sealed truck box in the instatrunk in 00 TJ, powered off of an alpine M350. The sub was rear firing and would consistently fool people who thought I was hiding a set of 12s somewhere. Only time it really lost the bump was when I had the top completely off (was fine with the windows and doors off). Was also running infinity reference 4" seperates in the front, and MB Quart 5.25 seperates in the sounds bar.

If I were to do it again (and if I wasn't running a fuel cell in the back of the 98 TJ) I would go with what I put in my JK, which is a pair of JL W1V2s 8s in a single chamber, downward firing, sealed enclosure. Paired with an audio control LC2i, it booms when you want or will give you back massage depending on the genre of music.

If you wanted to drop the coin you could go with the JL 13WT5 shallow mount sub, but that thing is like $500 for just the sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marine grade stuff is not much different than a plastic cone and rubber surround generic sub other than it costs more and is white.

I have done a couple installs with the TW5 13.5s and they are MEAN drivers.If i had the room i wouldn't mind running one of those or a single 12w1v3. I'm picking up an "brand new" 10W1v2-4 with a JL factory Grill for $80. Im still trying to decide, Down, Rear or Front firing.

img2013051.jpg
I drilled out the rivets in the tie down loops, Crawled underneith and fished some Stainless Screws up through the floorboard. On the driver side i decided to just run a pice of angle up the the seatbelt bolt. This thing SOLIDLY mounted, I can rock the Jeep with the amp hanging off the side.

img201bzb.jpg

Really Shitty pic, It got dark....
img201jjj.jpg
Still have to finish the wiring and beautification/Weather Sealing but its coming along. Sounds pretty good,(45-65hz drills) Doesn't quite handle the low notes but that could be the combination of; low air space in the box, open top, hybrid amp technology or just because its a 10" driver. Im going to stuff some more poly fill in the box next time its out to see if i can fake some more air space.

Last edited: