project skinny pedal

Well its no secret around here that i haven't wheeled in 2 years.. mainly because of money/job/school and trying to figure out exactly what i was gonna do... Here is the specs..

Samurai 100" wheelbase
3rz Tacoma Motor
W56 trans
Dual Cases with 4.7 gears in rear case
39.5" icocks on 15" DIY beadlocks
Rear sheet metal has also been dove tailed to the width of the frame rails.

Picked up the motor from some sketch Russian chop shop in ATL (scariest dude i've ever met, accent and all) about two years ago with a knock in it. Said it was a rod bearing which was correct once i tore it down.... so just to be safe i rebuilt the whole motor to factory specs and it sat in the shop for about a year on the stand collecting dust.

sourced a w56 trans, and a w59 taco bell housing that is needed to bolt it to the motor.
sourced a crawl box, doubler plate, and a 4.7 geared case with a broke input for cheap.. Thought hell one call to trail gear and i can have that fixed since it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty... NOPE, they asked a question... (another story for another time).... But thanks to Harv ill have it back together soon.

Having a custom stand alone harness built for the motor by a guy on pirate who owed me a favor, so it should be back soon. It will run the motor, and i will have standard gauges in the dash. Prob. source them from summit.

Got started finally with putting it all in place... I'm not sure if it will be ready for oscar, but we will see..

Here is some pics and i will try to update as i go. Sorry if some of the pics come out crappy.. the only camera i own is on my cell phone...

dovetail.jpg
The rear dove tail

motor1.jpg
The motor getting fitted in..

motor2.jpg
Motor is in and this is where it will sit. These Japanese folks engineered this motor to sit crooked like this.. It looks a little odd at first.

t-case.jpg
Here is the looonnggg *** drive train.. somehow I've shoehorned it in there and just about have a flat belly.. there is only about 1" of the front drive shaft output hanging below the frame rails.. but a skid plate is going to protect that.

Thats about as far as i've gotten this weekend, and i hope to get a few nights work in this week but we will see. More to come and feel free anybody to stop by, have a beer, and lend a hand...

Got a few small things done tonight harness came back and I got it hooked up to the motor.
uploadfromtaptalk1364175259196.jpg

Also finish welded the trans mount.
uploadfromtaptalk1364175324111.jpg

It should start moving along quickly now. Just small piddly stuff left to do.

Sent from my Obama phone....

Yea I still have it, Its out in the barn. Mostly use my mig gun now unless im trying to weld the world back together.

Interested to see how things work out with that motor! My little 1.3L is still humming right along so I'm gonna keep stomping on the skinny pedal til she gives up!

Got some work done tonight. Got the 4.7 tcase put back together with the new input shaft. I gotz that dig gear now!

Also got the clutch master cylinder rigged up and plumed some lines... its one step closer!

Was also trying to decide on some seats for this thing. after reading this thread on pirate of this Tracker build,i think i may put some rzr seats in it. This guy says that he loves them! I was worried that they would be uncomfortable, but he says no. I found a few on craigslist that imma take a look at this weekend for about $100, maybe go by a delarship and sit in a set just to make sure.

rzr seats.jpg

You won't regret spending the dough on suspension seats.

I've been keeping my eye on clist for an old stick welder to play with. I'd love to get a shorthood or red face sae200 to restore.

You won't regret spending the dough on suspension seats.

I've been keeping my eye on clist for an old stick welder to play with. I'd love to get a shorthood or red face sae200 to restore.
I found the pics, so i thought i'd post them up.. It welds slick once ya get the hang of her.. It takes me a few passes every time i fire her up to get back in the rhythm with it.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzMtMjAxMDA4MjctMTM0Ni5qcGc.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzgtMjAxMDA4MjktMTgwOS5qcGc.jpg

Looks like a few rods (on floor) fell victim to being stuck to the work piece. I know you aren't using it anymore with your MIG, but coulda used a touch more heat on the weld in that pic.

What's the status on the rig at this point?

Status is no go for Harlan. Got everything ready to go, was bolting up the transfer cases to the transmission and somehow the transmission fell over off the Jack and busted the bottom off on the tail housing. Got to have a seal there between the trans and t-case or all the fluid leaks out....so got a new housing on the way but I still haven't ordered my birfs. Oh and I put in for this whole week off work to wrench on it/ go to Oscar but was denied so I may be riding up with jimbo on Friday night. It should be wheelable by the end of the month... maybe the open ride at the flats on the 19th.

Last edited:
Well ive got a few updates. Even though the trans is busted I can still use it for mock up.

Motor and all gear boxes are mounted.
uploadfromtaptalk1364859108639.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1364859175676.jpg

Here is a closer look at the tcase mounts.
uploadfromtaptalk1364859246060.jpg

Also built my fuel lines. Braided ss line with -6an fittings. Using an external warlbro pump 190lph which is close to factory Toyota pressure.
uploadfromtaptalk1364859383735.jpg

Up next comes the wiring hookups and exhaust...

Last edited:
Still playing the waiting game on parts, but i have been taking care of some of the smaller stuff. Also going to have to do a rear mounted radiator due to the fact that i'm completely out of room under the hood... just hope the Taurus fan can keep the heat pulled out of the cab. I should be running by the end of the month. Ive. got most of the wiring hooked up. Just need a few more loose ends buttoned up and ill be done!

Theres gotta be a way to get a radiator up front.

But, if not. Dustin's doesn't seem to get unbearable in the cab. However, it's been known to run hot as well.

Well the samurai radiator isn't big enough to cool the 3z. So I'm using a Tacoma one. Its just to tall to sit under the hood and if I move it forward its just going to look dumb because it takes up the entire front. The width of the frame is what is killing me. Cant find a radiator big enough to cool the motor, but small enough to fit between them. Ive tried 3 different ones and the taco is the smallest.