Pre 95 jeep brake booster upgrade

There are a few forums out there on a few other sites but I figured I would post up because it easy and works great

Before I did this upgrade on my 91 xj I couldn't lock up my brakes, so I decides I needed to figure something out. I did some research an found out that pre 95 Cherokees and I think other jeeps as well came with a single diaphragm brake booster. The 95 and up cherokee comes with a dual diaphragm booster. I was gonna get new parts but I was looking at around $300 for a master cylinder and booster, so I went out to pull a part and got a master cylinder and booster off a 96 xj for $35 with a warranty.

Pulled the master cylinder and brake booster off to start the install
image.jpg

With the brake boosters set side by side you can see the difference in width
image.jpg

For the brake pedal the attach to the push rod of the you have to drill the push rod hole out to 5/8 on the brake booster.

Once the booster and master cylinder was installed I realized I was gonna have to make new bake lines from the master cylinder to the proportional valve. I headed to the parts store and got 40" of 3/16 brake line and a few different fittings. The master cylinder I put on required a bubble flare and the proportional valve required a standard double flare. I made up the new lines and then tightened everything down. I bled the master cylinder and then bled each wheel.

image.jpg

After install I drove around the block and the brakes felt great. I can actually lock the brakes up on pavement now. I would highly recommend doing this upgrade