How does yours attach?

Got a question. I have fabricated a steering gear box cover for my 98 TJ.I have the front left corner attached under the bumper bolt and the front right corner attached through the round cross tube the only other place I have to attach to is the lowest bolt that holds the steering gear box to the frame. But when I do the bolt that came out of the gear box is about 3/16 shorter because of the steel the cover is made of. The other bolts stick through about 3 to 4 threads .The threads stop right at the back of the gear box on the bolt that I am using. Is this enough threads to keep the box tight or do I need to do something different?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I think that's how most attach. I would think as long as the bolt gets all the way through you'd be ok, or you may be able to get a longer bolt. My Kilby skid attaches like that and uses the stock bolt.

Hey Larry, yea that’s what I was thinking but didn’t want to break it or anything. Also on the TJ where the gear box bolts go through the frame they set on an embossment, I think it is a sleeve so the frame doesn’t crush when the bolts are tightened. I was thinking of cutting the side hole in my cover to slip over the embossment and then the bolt will be at stock length. Just a thought.

Extra threads exposed on the end of the bolt aren't doing anything. It does give you a sense of comfort but they really aren't doing anything. My cover uses the same bolts you mentioned.