M416 Forestry Trailer

Here she is...

She had a HUGE 100 Gallon Fuel cell bolted down in the back. I took it out and am going to sell it. Here that is:

Inside is pretty clean...

I need to get all the debris out and see how bad it is under all that, but it looks pretty cancer free. On the back tailgate, there is a hole thats rusted through from where the Gas nozzle was. How hard will this be to fix?

Under carriage is clean, no rust at all, and the brake drums are still on the axles, but not hooked up to anything. Anyone know how hard that will be to get running?

Last edited:
The drum brakes will attach to a cable to a front handbrake.
The bearings are not that special, you can go to a bearing house and get them. I forgot, they may also be the same units used in jeeps from 46-71. But I do not remember, but they are not super unobtanium things

Cool...The bearings are in pretty good shape, so that shouldnt be a problem. The wire is still there for the brakes. It looks similar to a emergency brake cable. Its just not hooked up to anything to activate it. I will probably just let it be for now :)

Do you have the data plate with the model specs on it? They did have some that had a surge brake on it. As long as it is a cable, you are fine. You can find the handles around, they are not totally hard to find. It is nice to have when you park it, you lock it down so it wont move at all. Better than wheel chocks :)

Not sure. There is a rivited plate on the what would be tailgate, but its painted over. I will have to look and see if I can read it once I get cleaning...

Yup that will be the data plate. good to have. You will probably have to find some chemical remover to take the paint off, instead of scratching the plate.

sweet! Any idea what size tires and rims (bs?) this bad girl can handle? Its got the Military 16x7 on it now, but I might want to go a bit wider when the tires go....

The wheels are the same one that run on the M151 mutt. The backspacing is pretty shallow. I put the rims from my old trailer on my old CJ to see how it would look with NDTs and it was really inward on the rig. The pattern is 5 on 5.5 and you have a wide variety of choices for rims, cause all CJs to 86 used that pattern.

Well had trouble finding a sand blaster place I could afford.....so I bought a harbor freight hand held hopper gun and went to town with my 6 gallon pancake compressor......FAIL.....hahaha ....so I pulled out the drill and put a wire wheel on it and went to town...I am only attacking the spots where its bad and am now painting the whole thing. I will eventually do a frame off, but win the top tent coming in 3-4 weeks, I needed to get this going.....pics coming tomorrow....

Looking good Shane, the top looks good painted.

Did you figure out the mounting rails? I tried to text you when we were out but it wouldnt go through because I had crappy service. Call me when you get a chance.

Thanks Brooks! I am going to look at flipping the upper mounts so I can install the supports Shaft down. I did some more reading last night and that is how it should be to keep the seals lubed....so, Tonight I am gonna flip the mount and see if it rubs...

WEll....looks like Yahoo Groups paid off again...I got an email last night that a guy was parting out his M416, and was able to get the entire handbrake assembly from the handle to the equalizer for 40 shipped to my door....Handbrake...here I come!

WEll....looks like Yahoo Groups paid off again...I got an email last night that a guy was parting out his M416, and was able to get the entire handbrake assembly from the handle to the equalizer for 40 shipped to my door....Handbrake...here I come!
awesome, did you hear anything back about the bows?

not yet. I am hoping for something today, otherwise I am going to start looking for someone local to make them. Since one side of the bows are fine, they should be able to make a quick jig and bend them up...

As for the hinge, well, I may have to find someone with a CNC to cut them out and bend them up...Hoping that is not the case though.