Backroad Wandering in SC

Its not every weekend in January that you see the weather reports calling for near 80*, so when Tripp heard it was going to be nice he called me up and asked if I knew of any roads around the area that would be a fun day trip. Well, I hate to say it but the midlands just isn't like the upstate, where you can just be in some awesome area in an hour. I looked around online and found some mention of Ridge road, near Whitmire, SC so we mapped out some backroads and picked a lunch stop. Took about 3 hours round trip including some chatting and some wandering on some dead end roads.

Here is a map for anyone that wants a pretty cool backroads trip with some dirt thrown in.

Saturday Drive copy.jpg

Nikon3100 026.jpg

Nikon3100 025.jpg

I think some of the others took a few pictures, but there wasn't much to document, just a fun time in some jeeps.

We had lunch at The Flying Pie in Newberry, they have 18 craft beers on tap and great pizza.

http://www.theflyingpierestaurant.com/

01tj

18 beers and riding back roads sounds like a good day!!:cheers: I wonder wonder if those roads would tie into all the dirt roads around Greenwood some how?

18 beers and riding back roads sounds like a good day!!:cheers: I wonder wonder if those roads would tie into all the dirt roads around Greenwood some how?
I saw jimbo talking about the dirt roads around there, I've never really been out there, I'll have to do a little digging and get yall to show me on a map.

just dont get caught off of the actual creek crossing area.. There is a federal forestry law enforcement officer who travels through there a good bit and will write tickets... and don't be at the creek crossing after dark.. some squatches show up with nattly light, guns, and bootleg women.. its scary...

just dont get caught off of the actual creek crossing area.. There is a federal forestry law enforcement officer who travels through there a good bit and will write tickets... and don't be at the creek crossing after dark.. some squatches show up with nattly light, guns, and bootleg women.. its scary...
Yeah, you can't do anything fun anymore. There used to be lots of fun spots in Laurens County to play, especially if you liked the mud. I often wonder if anyone ever goes ridin in any of the old spots? I know most of them were places we weren't supposed to be but if people didn't go do drugs, trash the place, leave stolen vehicles, and kill people there we would probably still be riding at most of them and not worried about trouble. Friggin' meth heads.

Well the rock quarry is not an option anymore since they are re-blasting it, you can still get to the hell holes on 49 (a different ridge rd) i believe, sugar bowl in Joanna if you can sneak past the house that always calls the law. not much left though due to mobile meth labs and ****... ha ha... Used to be a real good place in union (fairforest creek) had a slickrock kind of slab with running water over it you could always go raise hell on until someone got shot down there one night..ha ha

I have been to Frontage Rd. and a place off of Fairview rd. (can't remember what we used to call it) in Joanna. K.C's or Hunter Industrial spot in Laurens had some kick *** 4wheeler trails and truck trails too if you didn't mind scratches. Box Rd. in Laurens had a helluva mud hole but it's now paved. Hell Hole on 49 is still awful from what I hear and is still a public rd. We had some land close to us in the neighborhoods that had some good trails too. Used to ride off of Sunset and Carolina Dr. in Clinton. If you went to the left off of carolina dr. there was a NASTY mud hole that you had to climb the big hill to get onto Young rd. or come back through. And there was a place that backed up to Thornwell too.

O well, those days are over.

Don't guess I ever went to the place in Union.

Hutch also mentioned sugar bowl but I can't think of where thats at or if i'd ever been.

Jay said Ridge Rd. is not a public rd. anymore. There is now a gate and no tresspassing signs. So, don't get caught there either.
Damn... Nowhere good left anymore at all..i guess ill just continue to web wheel seeing as thats all ive been able to do anyway for about 2 years.. ha ha

Thanks for posting up this route. I took a modified version yesterday to do some exploring with the intent of checking out Sumter National Forest. I did make it to Little North Carolina Rd. It was a fun and scenic drive.

Thanks for posting up this route. I took a modified version yesterday to do some exploring with the intent of checking out Sumter National Forest. I did make it to Little North Carolina Rd. It was a fun and scenic drive.
Good to hear linus, I saw your pics of the bridge in peak, did you get any other pictures?