Clutch probs?

Background; 2000 jeep tj, 4 cyl 5 speed, had a slight tick but went away or wasnt noticeable after motor heated up, could just be exhaust leak

Jeep drove fine this morning, went got gas and clutch pedal was stiff. Got on the highway and felt like it was slipping, rev with little power. Got off highway pressed clutch in and rpm dropped below 1000 rpm (to idle rpm). When I mash the gas it hesitates like the engine is sputtering or struggling to get fuel or air. It sounds like the tick has stopped as well. Not sure if throwout bearing or MC or motor issues like lifters or valves.

Sounds like a pressure plate failure, or just a worn out clutch.
If the clutch/plate/bearing went to pieces it could have thrown metal onto the CKP, and that will cause the ignition to read false. That could explain the stumble in the ignition.
The cold start tap is common. It's poor lubrication along with the flat tappet lifters that jeep uses. I have also seen several with weak valve springs. Other possibility is poor lubrication from buildup in the oil passages. There are several ways to solve the tap.

mine did something like you are describing and it was my throttle position sensor, it felt just like my clutch was going out. Mine didnt throw a code till I had already replaced the clutch and found that it wasnt the problem.

01tj

When my TPS went bad it was running TERRIBLE, would spit and sputter and pretty much fall on its face. I thought I was going to have to winch it on the trailer. Its a cheap fix, worth a shot.

Brooks should this thread be moved to General 4x4?

Last edited by a moderator:
When my TPS went bad it was running TERRIBLE, would spit and sputter and pretty much fall on its face. I thought I was going to have to winch it on the trailer. Its a cheap fix, worth a shot.

Brooks should this thread be moved to General 4x4?
Mine was running fine, but it would go in and out when i was driving.

I dont think its just clutch. I just started it and it ran for a few secounds and stalled out
Check the IAC ( idle air control ) and the TPS ( throttle position sensor ) if it is stalling at idle. Easy way to check the IAC is to start it, warm up to NOT ( normal operating temp ) then tap the IAC with a ratchet handle. If the idle returns to normal there is likely heavy buildup in the throttle body ports. If idle does not differ, unplug the IAC. If that makes no difference the IAC is dead!
You can't rely on OBD2 codes to be set, and if you do get a code it only gives you a direction to head. They rarely pinpoint a problem.