Restart with new car Jeep WJ (yeah I finally know what it means)

So finally I'm the owner of used 02 Jeep WJ, with V8 4.7, awd quadra trac II transfer case (if I understand it correctly), car has 140K highway miles on it and so far no major problems was discovered. I'm stuck were to start with the maintenance and upgrades, too many questions and so far not enough understanding of the Jeep. As far as I have found already I'd better change all fluids in the car, what are the most important to start with, wont be able to change all in one week will be the process for at least one month, so I would appreciate any advice were to start (transmission, transfer case, differentials, cooling fluid, brake or .... I don't know maybe some else fluids), engine and power steering fluids are changed by me already. As far as of upgrades the Jeep is all stock so far, from my research on web and here I'm thinking on lifting it 3" and putting on 31 tires, as of now I don't want to do any trimming on body, is this a good way to start mods, or maybe you jeepers here have some other better suggestions, as usually all ideas are welcome, budget for the begging is 500-1000 max, maybe closer to summer will have more, even this money I still don't have in hand but will be able to get them in next month or two. Here are some pics of the car.
SItfzIHXSkA.jpg
IMGP5348upload.jpg
IMGP5347upload.jpg
IMGP5342upload.jpg
IMGP5341.jpg

Hope on your help on were to start. Thanks for looking and sorry for many letters. Hope to meet some of you on the trails in the nearest future.

I would honestly just go to the junkyard and swap out that transfer case for a 231. Ron did it in his zj and I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out.

Finally I'm sure what TC I have it's Selectrack, this make it alit easier on fluid change side.
Almost done with all fluids and check ups. Few things have come out that wasn't visible at the day of purchase: I do have some problems with cabine air flow, and AC is in need of rechard atleast, maybe even something worth that just low presure, will be messing with it later. This weekend finally flushed and changed coolant, and was going to change transmission and transfer case fluid but ran out or time, drain plugs on engine block said that they like it where they are and after 2 broken extenders I gave up trying to unsrew them, ended up just flushing the system with garden hose for 20 mins, and what I drained didn't look to bad so what I have done should be more than enough to count the system as clean.
Need your advice on what I should check or do next with maintaince of the car: so far was done:
engine oil change, powersteering fluid change (one of the lines was leeking), coolant changed, transmission and transfer case are next, hope to do it tomorrow.
What I'm thinking on next:
brake fluid, maybe differential lubricant.
Is there any other places that I should pay special attention before starting to lift it or ...? any other suggestions are welcome.

Finally I'm sure what TC I have it's Selectrack, this make it alit easier on fluid change side.
Almost done with all fluids and check ups. Few things have come out that wasn't visible at the day of purchase: I do have some problems with cabine air flow, and AC is in need of rechard atleast, maybe even something worth that just low presure, will be messing with it later. This weekend finally flushed and changed coolant, and was going to change transmission and transfer case fluid but ran out or time, drain plugs on engine block said that they like it where they are and after 2 broken extenders I gave up trying to unsrew them, ended up just flushing the system with garden hose for 20 mins, and what I drained didn't look to bad so what I have done should be more than enough to count the system as clean.
Need your advice on what I should check or do next with maintaince of the car: so far was done:
engine oil change, powersteering fluid change (one of the lines was leeking), coolant changed, transmission and transfer case are next, hope to do it tomorrow.
What I'm thinking on next:
brake fluid, maybe differential lubricant.
Is there any other places that I should pay special attention before starting to lift it or ...? any other suggestions are welcome.
Your jeep looks like it was taken care of very well before you purchased it. For the transmission, I would say just drop the pan and change the transmission filter, then refill, no need to flush the entire system.

It wouldn't hurt to change the gear oil in the front and rear differentials. Its a simple job, just kindof time consuming.

I assume you are just planning a mild lift on this thing, and in that case have you looked into a simple 2" spacer lift with shocks? I'm not sure how extreme you want to build it?

My idea for this car is to have two sets of wheels, one for everyday commute, and other set of 31 or 32 for some moderate trails ridding, from what I have found online the biggest I can go with 2inch spacers is 29.5, and this will most likely limmit my ability for some more advanced trails. Maybe I'm wrong maybe 2 inches is enough, and 29,5 are more than enough, and the difference between this two settups wont limmit me very much. Would be glad to hear from more experienced drivers what are my best options, espesially since my budget is very tight as of now and to go with just spacers and new set of 29 I should be able to fit in 600-700$ with new or like new tires. Thanks for looking.

I think you are over analyzing. Running a good tire negates the need for multiple tires. A two incher should have no problem running a 265/75r16. If you got just tires an are on a budget I would recommend nitto terra grapplers or hankook dynapro ats. Just make sure you get a LT tire and not a P tire. I've had a few of these Cherokees my self and like I said before, 3 inch lift and some jk take offs. Preferably rubis. You can get them cheaper than buying a new set for your current rims.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Chase Puryear, a member here, has a set of JK Rubi wheels and tires with about 5,000 miles on them. Send him a pm and see what he wants for them.

My idea for this car is to have two sets of wheels, one for everyday commute, and other set of 31 or 32 for some moderate trails ridding, from what I have found online the biggest I can go with 2inch spacers is 29.5, and this will most likely limmit my ability for some more advanced trails. Maybe I'm wrong maybe 2 inches is enough, and 29,5 are more than enough, and the difference between this two settups wont limmit me very much. Would be glad to hear from more experienced drivers what are my best options, espesially since my budget is very tight as of now and to go with just spacers and new set of 29 I should be able to fit in 600-700$ with new or like new tires. Thanks for looking.
with a 2" lift and a little bit of trimming to the plastic you could run some 32s on stock JK wheels.
foqijl.jpg
0302001245.jpg
2011-02-26_11-35-28_311.jpg

with a 2" lift and a little bit of trimming to the plastic you could run some 32s on stock JK wheels.
View attachment 2484
View attachment 2485
View attachment 2486
OK. Now that looks really interesting, I think I will try to aim to make my look like those. Plus spasers I can afford any time and if I get it correct installing them is few hour of work. Now only question left open is the tires. I heard from one of the tire shops that 15 inch rims wont feet on my brake calipers, so I have to go 16 or 17 inches. Where in upstate is the best place to go for good and cheap off-road tires. Ones that are currently on the Jeep are good for highway use and they should easely last me for 1.5-2 years if I wont be ridding them offroad, so this is why I'm considering getting some agressive offroad tires that are not good for highway, but will allow me to drive from home to trail and than have some fun on the trails.

OK. Now that looks really interesting, I think I will try to aim to make my look like those. Plus spasers I can afford any time and if I get it correct installing them is few hour of work. Now only question left open is the tires. I heard from one of the tire shops that 15 inch rims wont feet on my brake calipers, so I have to go 16 or 17 inches. Where in upstate is the best place to go for good and cheap off-road tires. Ones that are currently on the Jeep are good for highway use and they should easely last me for 1.5-2 years if I wont be ridding them offroad, so this is why I'm considering getting some agressive offroad tires that are not good for highway, but will allow me to drive from home to trail and than have some fun on the trails.
honestly with tires you pay for what you get. Yes some places have better prices on the tires. But if you just walk in and say you want the cheapest mud tire on the market, you are going to get a horrible riding, and an unperforming tire. I would suggest for you to take a look into getting BFG km2s, they are a great all around tire, including on the highway. You could sell your old tires and wheels and make some profit back off the tires you are about to buy.

and i'm not sure about rim sizes, but if i were you i'd find a set of stock JK wheels for a good price and ride on those. And me and Ron can help you get a spacer lift on in an evening.

The stock rubicon tires mentioned and shown in those pictures are a bfgoodrich mud terrain tire on a 17" wheel. So you could buy some that were taken off of a Jeep JK rubicon.

Thnks. Will be looking around for good deals. And I didn't mean the cheapest tires, since I'm not native to SC I don't know the places where you can get good tires for fair price without paying double or triple prices for nothing. I'm willing to pay alitle more but to get really good tires since they decide alot when you go offroad.

honestly with tires you pay for what you get. Yes some places have better prices on the tires. But if you just walk in and say you want the cheapest mud tire on the market, you are going to get a horrible riding, and an unperforming tire. I would suggest for you to take a look into getting BFG km2s, they are a great all around tire, including on the highway. You could sell your old tires and wheels and make some profit back off the tires you are about to buy.

and i'm not sure about rim sizes, but if i were you i'd find a set of stock JK wheels for a good price and ride on those. And me and Ron can help you get a spacer lift on in an evening.
Ok so the spacers are finally at my garage, I hope you guys will be able to help me with their installation, and preparation for bigger wheels. When will be the best time to try to get those spacers on? Thanks. I'm free every evening after 5.30 till..... Have space in my yard to work on the car, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have all the needed tools.