Upper Control Arm Axle end Bolt size

Looking at getting the Currie Axle housing Johnny Joint kit to fix my contol arm bushing issues, but I dont know what the bolt size is stock...7.16 or 1/2"?

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product569.aspx?id=1277
stock bolt size is metric, but a 7/16" bolt works well in there. You can also drill out the stock bushings and control arms and run 1/2" bolts. So the answer is either.

Why are you looking at doing the johnnies? thats a pretty pricey kit when new rubber bushings are like $10 each.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
stock bolt size is metric, but a 7/16" bolt works well in there. You can also drill out the stock bushings and control arms and run 1/2" bolts. So the answer is either.

Why are you looking at doing the johnnies? thats a pretty pricey kit when new rubber bushings are like $10 each.
Why don't you put rubber bushings back on yours? They're only $10. The response you would give to that comment is the answer he should give you. :bringit:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Btw, I just ordered that kit over the weekend. But I have a fubared axle side mount that helped me justify the cost. But I am looking forward to the increased flex.

Btw, I just ordered that kit over the weekend. But I have a fubared axle side mount that helped me justify the cost. But I am looking forward to the increased flex.
Wish the bushings and stock upper control arms, you will get the same amount of flex as with these. The Johnny joints will last longer in most cases, but for many people the Johnnys are overkill. Now if you are removing the passenger side upper, I would say that the Drivers side cast in bushing needs to be replaced with one of these joints, but I see no need on a jeep like shane's to replace the factory bushings with johnnys.

Hahaha...Alright...I'll pick up a $10.00 bushing..whats the dificulty level in replacing this bushing? Its not like I can throw it on the bench vise :)

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Hahaha...Alright...I'll pick up a $10.00 bushing..whats the dificulty level in replacing this bushing? Its not like I can throw it on the bench vise :)
Depends on it's current state. Normally you can just pound it out and put the new one in easily. But if the metal sleeve is damaged it could be a little more difficult. Just make sure you are hitting it the right way. Just look for the lip on one side.

Oh and I installed the currie johnny joint on the cast upper and it's been holding strong for about a year now and running one upper arm

If you can't pound it out, burn it out then cut the metal sleeve and pull it out. Then put new one in.
by suggesting that, I assume you have never done it...If you had, you woudnt suggest it. Picture burning a tire under your jeep...its no fun and makes a hell of a droopy rubber burned shat mess.

I'm not sure how to take this ....
take it like this:

Items broken over the life of the Jeep
- Rear lower control arms, stock, (qty 2)
- Rear lower control arm axle side bracket
- Rear ARB locker, leaked air inside the housing
- Rear tail light, stock
- Axle side sway bar mount, ripped off
- Teraflex rear shocks, (Qty 2)
- Warn hub conversion manual locking hubs, (qty 5)
- Transmission mount
- Radiator
- Throttle position sensor
- Fan clutch
- Water pump
- Warn Dana 30 short side front axle shaft, broken ear when u-joint went
- Front upper control arms, stock, (qty 2)
- Dana 30 u-joint, 297, (qty 2)
- Dana 30 yoke
- Front drive shaft
- Rear drive shaft, (qty 2)
:flipoff2:

I got absolutely defeated by my driver side bushing one time although it was a RE bushing in one of their sleeves with the raised center. I ended up building a three link just because I got so pissed that I cut the whole mount off. I tried everything yall have suggested. The rubber one is much easier though, I have used WD and huge channels to do it.

when I was looking for bushings a while back clemson 4wheel was actually cheaper than the auto parts places. They were Omix brand. If you go with a parts store, try advance auto and use the 40% off online coupon.