Rebuilt 4.0

I have been looking for rebuilt or low miles 4.0s for a while just to have in the garage for a rainy day...and so I can slowly work on it.

This one caught my eye purely do to the price. I know you get what you pay for.... I called the guy and he bought it from a guy for his sons 93 wrangler. Supposedly its out of a 1990 cherokee, would that be a renix motor.

I dont know the history at all of it but it does have new freeze plugs and the guy told him it had been rebuilt. What scares me is what I have seen 4.0s go through in cherokees, so I know it probably hasnt been babied.:flipoff2:

I wouldnt pay the asking price for it, but what does a core long block with possibly new parts go for? what would you pay?

http://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/3389047123.html

Takes the DIY out of it but have you talked with Carolina machine or someone like that to see what a reman with a warranty would run??

easiest way to tell if its been rebuilt... pull the valve cover off, pull the camshafts and look to see if the head bolts are new as they are torque to yeild and would have had to been replaced... that will let you know if someone has been into the long block... but then again you have to buy it first... I'd say no more than $700 cash if its actually been rebuilt..$300-$500 would be a decent deal on it i would think.. it is complete...

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looked on ebay for ya. Good thing about these is maybe you can bid low and get it for cheap. Then take a trip and pick it up. I searched for within 500 miles.

One in Florida

There were others but none that I really liked.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Also searched up near my hometown in ohio and found one (below). If you find something up that way that you are interested in, I can bring it back with me sometime (may have to borrow a trailer).

In Ohio

nope, I have been asking around though. Do you have a contact a Carolina Machine?
I used to. I did some business with a guy who was a rep for them. They didn't really cut me any smokin' deals or anything though. I'd just call them and see what they can offer. I know they do a SBC reman long block for under a grand. I would guess you would be somewhere around a grand with them but I have no idea. They are pretty good to deal with from my little experience.

Looking online a reman long block is $1200-1800. I think they will be cheaper than that but give them a call tomorrow and see. I'll see if I can find the guys name/number I knew if you'd like but I doubt that will help the price any.

01tj

You should throw a 5.3 in that thing Brooks. Wouldnt have a problem pulling that trailer then!!