Concealed Weapons Class - SC and Utah

Folks:

It's been a year or so, and we've expanded offerings, so I thought I'd toss this out there. Next SC permit class is Saturday, 10 November, but it's pretty full. Our inaugural Utah class will be 8 December.

And, yes, I copied and pasted the below ... :)

Ed

If you have your SC CWP, you know that it is not valid in several states - including our neighbors GA, AL, and MS. If you travel and want to protect yourself in those states, you must acquire another permit and the Utah permit is the most widely accepted permit available.

So, join us for your SC and UT permits, Defensive Pistol, or NRA classes. Our goal is to help you defend and protect yourself and those closest to you. Classroom work is held in a local conference room and we adjourn to a private range for the "hands on" sessions. NOTE: Utah does not require "hands on" training.

Classes are posted on our page (below) - drop by and take a look, even give it a "like".

We are local to NE Columbia and Kershaw County, but draw from throught the Midlands - Orangeburg to Chester, Sumter to Aiken, even from Greenville.

Let us know how we can help you protect yourself and your loved ones!

https://www.facebook.com/concealedpistoltraining

01tj

and let me get this straight, if you have a Utah, you would not need an SC or do you need to have both?
I'm not sure on that now that you ask. If it don't then I wont be taking it. Doubt I'd even take the SC class since it won't do me any good in some of the states I travel to frequently travel to.

Let's see if I can answer the questions:

1. Utah class is $50 less the MCJ discount of 10%; It should last about four hours, all classwork - no test, no live firing. (SC class is $75 less the discount and takes eight hours (SLED Mandated - they've arrested a couple of instructors for shorting it and I don't look good in stripes!), and requires live firing).

2. SC does not recognize the Utah permit. The ONLY reason to get the Utah permit would be because it is recognized in many of the states that don't recognize SC (GA, AL, MS, for example). If you don't travel, no reason to get it. SO, SC for SC (and about 20 states), UT for traveling. Between, the two, 37 states are covered (and, the others are darn near impossible to get).

Finally, the 8th is our trip to Uwharrie, so I know that's not convenient. We'll probably do another class before the end of the year (gotta pay off my trip to Utah last week!). :smile:

Questions?

Ed

P.S. Dan - if you have good things to say, weigh in. If not, don't say anything! :grin:

Last edited:
I will be taking it eventually and with a friend from work, and probably the wife. hahaha.

Very good class. this time of year will be great for the outdoor parts... it got a bit hot in September. :)

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I haven't heard of the Utah permit. When I took mine we were told we could get a New Hampshire permit just by submitting paperwork, and that covered GA. I didn't do it and the price has gone up now...

I'm more interested in defensive pistol training. Details?

Last edited:
Larry: the Defensive Pistol Class can be considered "advanced CWP" (although the instructor HATES me calling it). All range time - lots of drills, drawing from concealment, movement, use of cover, etc. (I'll have to get the curriculum). Somewhere between 200 and 300 rounds expended.

As far as other states that cover GA, etc, the "ease" of getting it is directly proportional to the cost. Easiest is FL.. completely mailorder, costs $125 for initial and $125 to renew. Next is Utah - have to sit through a class ($50 to $150), Utah charges $51 for initial and $15 to renew! Cheapest, yet most inconvenient, is Pennsylvania. It's about $25 for a non-resident license, but you have to be physicaly in PA to apply. I haven't really looked into NH, those are the three I know about.

Tripp: Utah requires neither a written test,nor a proficiency test. Just the classroom presentation. If your location has a screen (or we can get one) and power for a projector and laptop, we'd be golden.

Ed

Shane: got it, thanks.

Everyone else: The response to the Utah class has been overwhelming! Accordingly, we are adding an additional class to handle the overflow on Saturday, 15 Dec.

Ed

As far as other states that cover GA, etc, the "ease" of getting it is directly proportional to the cost. Easiest is FL.. completely mailorder, costs $125 for initial and $125 to renew. Next is Utah - have to sit through a class ($50 to $150), Utah charges $51 for initial and $15 to renew! Cheapest, yet most inconvenient, is Pennsylvania. It's about $25 for a non-resident license, but you have to be physicaly in PA to apply. I haven't really looked into NH, those are the three I know about.

Ed
The other option that is cheaper than Florida is Arizona. $60 to apply, renewals are $43. They will accept your SC SLED training.

The good thing about FL is they last for 7 years, however the bad thing is that every time you renew, you have to send all paperwork and fingerprint cards, which is a pain in the rear.

Arizona also is nice enough to automatically mail you a renewal packet 90 days before your license expires.

The SC class on 26 January is full, we'll be scheduling February's soon.

There are still spaces available in the Utah CFP class on 19 January. It'll be held at Elgin Town Hall starting at 9a.