JeepWife with question!

Hey all! My name is Robin and as my screen name indicates, my husband has a jeep (Wrangler). I need some input on a problem we have been presented with. First, my husband has a 01 Wrangler with a 3 inch lift (approx). It was like that when we purchased it, so we don't know alot about it (other than it was done by "Black Diamond". He does not use it for off road btw (it's a crappy 4 cyl). So, out of sheer bad luck, he "tips" it over, in a parking lot, no less (he hit a light pole and its' concrete pylon). The engine ran, while the jeep was on it's side, for MAYBE a minute (long enough for my husband to reach down to pick up the keys that fell out of the ignition). It laid on it's side for maybe an hour and a half while we waited for a tow truck to tip it back over. When they did that, the tire from the damaged side, blew out. The obvious damage is the axle, the fender, the fender flare, the little arm that moves the axle forward and backward to turn the front (I know your laughing at my lack of technical terms), the spring from the lift, a new top, and the top of the windshield frame (from where it laid on its' side). I know for a fact that transmission fluid leaked out of the jeep as it sat on it's side. Gas too. It does not appear that the crank shaft did any damage to the case (hopefully I just used the right terms).
Our insurance company has totaled the jeep. We have the option of taking the money and walking away, or taking less money and buying the jeep from our insurance company with a salvaged title.
My actual question is this. ENGINE - What are the chances that while the jeep was on it's side, that fluids (gas, transmission, oil) mixed within the engine and caused damage? I ask b/c if we purchased it back from the insurance company, what potential engine issues could we be facing. Prior to this, the engine was good, no problems (on 111k on it).

I appreciate your input/thoughts!
Robin

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
It all depends on what you want to do with the Jeep, how much insurance will pay you for it, and how much you can buy it back for. A salvaged title jeep is a great start for a trail rig (and cheaper). You could use the extra money to replace or upgrade what is actually necessary and leave the superficial damage as it is.

Chances are the engine was not hurt. We run our rigs on their sides and straight up and down in obstacles all the time. I would check all fluids and start it up. If it knocks it may have list oil pressure long enough to hurt it, but then you can swap it to a 4.0 :p

It may be a good idea to pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over for a few seconds first to make sure there's no fluids in the cylinders. Other opinions?

Hey all! My name is Robin and as my screen name indicates, my husband has a jeep (Wrangler). I need some input on a problem we have been presented with. First, my husband has a 01 Wrangler with a 3 inch lift (approx). It was like that when we purchased it, so we don't know alot about it (other than it was done by "Black Diamond". He does not use it for off road btw (it's a crappy 4 cyl). So, out of sheer bad luck, he "tips" it over, in a parking lot, no less (he hit a light pole and its' concrete pylon). The engine ran, while the jeep was on it's side, for MAYBE a minute (long enough for my husband to reach down to pick up the keys that fell out of the ignition). It laid on it's side for maybe an hour and a half while we waited for a tow truck to tip it back over. When they did that, the tire from the damaged side, blew out. The obvious damage is the axle, the fender, the fender flare, the little arm that moves the axle forward and backward to turn the front (I know your laughing at my lack of technical terms), the spring from the lift, a new top, and the top of the windshield frame (from where it laid on its' side). I know for a fact that transmission fluid leaked out of the jeep as it sat on it's side. Gas too. It does not appear that the crank shaft did any damage to the case (hopefully I just used the right terms).
Our insurance company has totaled the jeep. We have the option of taking the money and walking away, or taking less money and buying the jeep from our insurance company with a salvaged title.
My actual question is this. ENGINE - What are the chances that while the jeep was on it's side, that fluids (gas, transmission, oil) mixed within the engine and caused damage? I ask b/c if we purchased it back from the insurance company, what potential engine issues could we be facing. Prior to this, the engine was good, no problems (on 111k on it).

I appreciate your input/thoughts!
Robin
There may be extra fuel and oil in the cylinders from sitting on its side, but The transmission oil and motor oil could not mix. Has the jeep run since you got it back? You may just need to take the spark plugs over and turn the motor over to make sure there is no fluid in the cylinders. Then change the oil and you should be good to go. I would also check the the oil in the transmission and add some as required to get it back to the proper level. Consult your owners manual on whether to check it at operating temperature/ what gear to be in etc.

There should be no problems with the motor. And this forum is a wealth of knowledge and parts to get the jeep back on the road as well.

I have to ask... was he trying to flex on a light pole and flipped it?:grinpimp:

The jeep has been sitting at the body shop for about a week and half now. Has not been started since the accident. I am going to have a mechanic change the oil tomorrow and pull the plugs to check it out! Thanks for the info. Not hating on the 4 cylinder, but it drives like a freaking turtle on the highway with the big tires on it! (But I still like driving it now and then) :)

Thanks ya'll - I feel better already. I didn't want to just walk away from it and neither does my husband. I bought it for him as a surprise gift and he LOVES it!

So the story goes that he was cutting through a parking lot, an empty one less the light pole. There are several stop signs very close to each other and he was trying to figure out which was his and somehow didn't see the big light pole! So he says! I will post a pic if I can figure it out!

So the story goes that he was cutting through a parking lot, an empty one less the light pole. There are several stop signs very close to each other and he was trying to figure out which was his and somehow didn't see the big light pole! So he says! I will post a pic if I can figure it out!
a likely story...i've got my money on an attempted light pole flex shot :grin:

101flex3-med.JPG

Pretty close Brooks

I have the pics that I took quickly at the scene of the crime, followed the instructions on how to post a pick, but I don't have the "select file" button...but the above pick probably is exactly the same light type of light post....

I have the pics that I took quickly at the scene of the crime, followed the instructions on how to post a pick, but I don't have the "select file" button...but the above pick probably is exactly the same light type of light post....
The select file option is only available to Supporters. If you would like to post photos without becoming a supporter you must host them at photobucket, facebook, etc.

unfortunately that one doesn't look tall enough to roll on from trying to flex. How in the world did he flip it on that pole? haha thats crazy

im guessing side swiped it and the speed along with the momentum casued that... Ive seen that happen many a night with light poles when i was on the night beat....

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Unless he actually tried to walk the tire up the pole (look for tire tracks .. lol). If momentum rolled it, the jeep would have slid on the ground and not just flopped. Should be easy to tell, but not from those pics.

Hope it all works out. Keep us informed. When you guys get it going you can come out and enjoy some trails with us.

Unless he actually tried to walk the tire up the pole (look for tire tracks .. lol). If momentum rolled it, the jeep would have slid on the ground and not just flopped. Should be easy to tell, but not from those pics.

Hope it all works out. Keep us informed. When you guys get it going you can come out and enjoy some trails with us.
thats what I was thinking, but you cant really tell from the pictures.