National Guard in to practice Humvee Maneuvers 11/2

The Forward Support Co. of the 122 Engineer Battalion of Edgefield SC Army National Guard is being deployed overseas to you know where and have asked to use Gulches as a driver training ground on Friday November 2nd. This is a support unit which will make long distant convoys over very rough terrain. We were told many of the drivers of these vehicles have never driven them off road with little experience over rocks, up steep hills and off camber. So we have decided to help prepare them the best we can by reviewing off road techniques and spotting them though some of our trails. We are also going to open the park early. If you would like to come out and see 30 to 40 soldiers with 5 or 6 Humvees and support vehicles come in and practice we will open at noon. Cost to off roaders is the same as Saturday $25.00 and at 3pm back to Friday admissions of $15.00. We are , of course not charging the National Guard anything and we are proud to be of service to help in anyway we can. So cut work, bring you kids, this will be very interesting to see. Once again this will be weather permitting. (No we are not going to wreck Humvees on skull and cross bone trails we want them to come in and leave in the same shape.)

Help them out Skip, I would have never believed an MATV could get high-centered until I saw it in person in the Kunar province more than once. Ironically, the soldier driving the MATV that freed the stuck one was from Utah :grin:

Heck, the blasted multi-lane roads in Kabul are in such lousy shape (can you believe more than a dozen small const. companies each repairing and paving their own little section and none matching?) trail 1 and 2 at the Gluches are smoother.

I am going be there Friday. Thanks for helping those guys out Skip. I am sure they will learn alot.

Last edited: