TJ buildup

I bought my 04 TJ on a Friday in April of 06 was not planing on doing anything to wild and crazy just a weekend rig and a DD... So the next day I order a 4" Rough Country Lift with a set of 33" Procomp M/T's rapped around a set of pie cutters... Nov of 07 I joined the Army and was stationed in Alaska.. There are no small Rigs up here I guess thats when the JEEP BUG bit... Right after getting up here I picked up a set of PSC flat fenders for cheap... Then I found a set of 36" TSL that had never been on the road just trailed for cheap as well and added a 2" bugget boost... Then I picked up a Smitty built SRC front bumper off Craigslist, and then I deployed... When I got backed I orderd a set of Genright Highrise 3" flares and a rear SRC to match the front and a Smittybilt XRC 8K whinch... Some where along the way I upgraded to a set of 38.5 TSL's didn't like them so I went and bought the tires I am running now 39.5 IROCK'S... It curently has a basterd lift of 8" 4"short are 2" booster and 2" body not ideal but it works for now... I am curently in process of moving back to the Lexington area I was injured in Afganistan, Army has kicked me out... So I am going to take a brake for a little while to build my Jeep like it should be... Plans are LS1/TH400/ATLASII HPD44/D60 3link/4link 250/250/250/300coilovers... I have the Axles now just waiting to get the engine and trans when I get down south limited space on the move... Any imput on the build would be helpful this will be my first big build...
pics2046.jpg This is out by the Knik River ...
384.jpg
This one is here on Fort Richardson...
jeep3.jpg
This one is on the Buffalo mine Trail...
jeep5.jpg
This is out by Knik Glacier 22miles from the trail head -18* that morning fun ride...
lineup.jpg
This is our normal line up all type of rigs from mild to wild...

Yeah I am running the 40s now so you don't think even with the cromo shafts they will hold??? I picked up the 44/60 at a steal so thats why I was going with them... Like I said this is my fist real build...

Last edited:
The wheel bearings and balljoints are going to be your weak link. 44/60 combos are fairly cheap to pick up anywhere often for $400 or less. If you want to wheel with 40s you really need a 60 front. While your at it, the 60 rear is probably 30 spline and is more money than its worth. Go ahead and replace it with a 14 bolt for cheap. and you will be much happier down the road.

PS. I have broken two stock shafts in my 44 and have to replace my balljoints every 1-2 years with 35s...

OK Sounds like thats the way to go... I picked up the 44/60 for 300 for both and really didn't know any better... They think of them as gold up here normaly they are going for around a grand for the set... Thanks for the input... What about everything else sound ok I was also wanting to stretch the wheel base by about a foot also...

The 44 would work for a little while.... with a 36, that's about it when you add the LS1 to the equation. Yeah, do a 60 front. Sick pictures by the way! I'd love to go on a ride up there. I'm jealous. LOL!

Its a great place to ride... Great views and tons of places to ride snow is a challenge took a while to get ues to... The Irock's have done great I hope that someone will continue with that tread... Is anyone running Irock's there how are they in the red clay???