To do or not to do

Here’s the situation, I’m finally moving up in the world with the jeep and running 35s. I got a good deal on them from tire rack plus I got the deployment money so I thought why not. Now I’m coming in to the next problem what to do with the Dana 30 up front and the 44 in the rear. Do I build up the front 30 or just replace it with a 44? Do I go with 4.56s or 4.88s for the gears? What other problem might I run in too? My plan for the jeep is for it to be able to drive to and from the trails it’s no longer a DD but I’m not looking to turn in it to anything wild till I roll it should that day come. I’ve been out of the jeep world for some time now and I’ve been looking all around trying to figure this out but now I’m ready for some input from you guys.

My math on a 44 swap was about $2,000 with locker, bearings, seals, brackets etc. I chose to up grade my d30 for lack of time for fabrication and all that dough at once. I've done chro-mos and other misc to the d30 slowly over the years and it has served me well so far, but my style of wheeling doesn't include beating on my equipment.

I went with 4.88's and have been pleased, they are perfect around town and do fine at 65-70 mph. I don't really desire to go faster than that on the interstate anyway. Brooks says he can get 18mph if he stays around 65 on the way to Columbia.

01tj

My math on a 44 swap was about $2,000 with locker, bearings, seals, brackets etc. I chose to up grade my d30 for lack of time for fabrication and all that dough at once. I've done chro-mos and other misc to the d30 slowly over the years and it has served me well so far, but my style of wheeling doesn't include beating on my equipment.

I went with 4.88's and have been pleased, they are perfect around town and do fine at 65-70 mph. I don't really desire to go faster than that on the interstate anyway. Brooks says he can get 18mph if he stays around 65 on the way to Columbia.
I was at about half that price with chromos, but due to current modifcations I am not anymore.

01tj

What would you different next time Marcus?
I honestly wouldn't change a thing. It works great. If I had to change somthing I would have went staight to RCVs instead of chromos, and maybe a mini spool instead of welding it.

I think you can make a 30 last if you drive with some sense, upgrade where needed.

If you go the 44 route, keep on the look out for a used one and you'll come out cheaper. I have about $500 into a 44 with 5.13, mini spool with brackets and chromo's as well as warn hubs, thats including both small and large spindles, 5 on 5.5 and 6 on 5.5 rotors. I will likely freshen up the bearings and all that will add to the cost but i think you can have one for rather cheap. I'll likely ditch the mini spool for a lunchbox or detroit, whatever i come across a deal of.

I got a few good deals and bought marcus's old chromo's from him too.

I did discover however that the front ring gear has a few chipped teeth that wasnt mentioned when i was buying it. We'll see how long it holds up but that replacement will eventually add to the cost too.

I’ve thought about the Waggy 44 route do to the fact my cousin has one sitting around and he said I can have for a 100 bucks. But then I got a Dana 44 in the rear that’s 5 on 4.5 and a waggy 44 that is something else. The jeep will be beat on so I’m leaning towards ripping that Dana 30 out. As far as gears go seems that 4.88 are the choice to go with.