What to do?

I have been offered a trade for my samurai. For y'all that don't know my samurai is an 88 and has stock axles locked with 5.29's an soa conversion and power steering. The fella wants to trade me his 82 Toyota with a cab caged and no bed, it has the 22r in it with stock axles locked front welded rear dual tcases with a 4 speed manual granny gear. What would y'all do? My samurai has a very cheap cage, no axles, weber carb might I add.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'd be a little suspicious of why he wanted to trade...

One thing against the yota is I don't fit in regular cab trucks...

The kid that has it is one of my buddies, so I'd hope he wouldnt screw me, but you never know. i have a lil trouble fittin in it, but i believe once i replace the seats in it i will be alright, definitely doable if the seats dont give me anymore room, as long as they dont take up more space. Its a cab truck with a detroit front locker welded rear, he has 35's on it that are kinda bald but i told him i want my tires if we did it, (mine still have decent tread) I cant figure out the whole picture thing, but here is a link to the craigslist add that has pictures, (we have put the starter in it, and I might tell him i want my battery too, since it is 3 times the size of the battery that the sami needs anyways and fairly new) http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/3314468097.html

X2 on being a skeptic. See what his rig looks like, drive it, put it in low range, turn the steering wheel. Find out why he wants to get rid of it. How does the cab look outside and in?

Nothing against older vehicles nor Toyotas, but many of them are worn out. It would suck to trade it only to find out all the bushings, bearings, gears, and engine were shot.

I definitely will continue to check it out before i agree to trade, I have looked at it a good bit but not too far in detail, looks good besides a lil rust on the floor of the cab, i was plannin on just gettin some plate steel and welded it in the floor, (its in the passenger floor board, but not horrible, when he got it the motor had been pulled and i helped him put it back in, all of that looked fine, but it needs a coil pack as well so i havent heard it run, I told him "If you get it runnin I will maybe trade" The only reason I am even interested in this yota is because i love toyotas and have had about 6 of them, never rigs though, unfortuneately and I've always wanted a toyota rig, definitely need to give it a very in depth look and make sure i havent missed anything

It doesn't look to bad but needs work. I'd cut the exo off of it and either redo it or rock it without it, i prefer no exo. Has a 20r in it now which aren't as good as 22r. Throw that head on a 22r block with a weber and you'll have a peppy motor. 22re would be a lot of work to put in that from what I've heard for not much gain except fuel injection, my 22r with weber ran great after it was tuned right. All first gens have rot in floorboards so that's not a big surprise.

Larry Im not sure but i believe it is, im not too worried about how it looks, just really like the fact that the toyota has a cab and doors so i can not have to worry about gettin soakin wet when wheelin if it starts to rain, also keeps me a lil cleaner on muddy trails, the main reason i show interest in this toyota is b/c out of my i believe 6 toyotas i have always wanted to make one into a rig and never had the time or money, if i do it, itll definitely need some work, as does my samurai, but i really like the toyota, it also comes with the complete 22r motor, and a something performance cam, not sure what brand, but it looks brand new

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't think looks is what Larry is concerned about. It's a light bar ...... not a roll bar. It was originally intended for looks and a place to mount lights. It would be like making a roll cage out of PVC. Useless. You would have to basically cut the entire cage off and start over.

01tj

Throw yotas under the zuk, 37 reds, and a 3rz. Bible. Holla!

Excuse my Tennesee Rock Bounce termonology..

Yotas>44 everyday of the week. Way better axle. As for trading for that truck, I wouldn't. I'm a Toyota guy and I wouldn't touch that **** pile with a 10' pole. I haven't ever seen your Sami, but if you think it's worth more than $500 than I wouldn't trade, cause that's all that yotas worth.

im partial to my zuk, but then again the only part zuk anymore is the tub (yota axles,3rz almost in, w-56 and dual cases)... Ive got yota axles and beat the piss out of it with 35" tsl's and stock birfs... havent broke one yet.. only thing ive broken in the yota axle was a r&p and that was my fault for not completely welding the spider gears solid, had some slop in it and just welds broke loose and chewed everything up... But in the end its your zuk, and your trade, but the yota does look like it needs some work...