ticking sound

okay, I know I've let this go on to long but... at the Gilbert Peach Festival Parade I noticed a ticking from the left rear. Increases with speed - my initial thought was I picked up a rock or nail, that's what it sounds like. But, alas, that's not it.

Checked to make sure nothing was hanging, nor mud or debris caught up there, but... that's not it.

And, it seems to be getting a bit worse.... Ideas?

Ed

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Do you have disc brakes? Maybe something stuck in the rotor or the dust guard. But you would think it would have either fell out or worn down by now.

Do you have disc brakes? Maybe something stuck in the rotor or the dust guard. But you would think it would have either fell out or worn down by now.
The front are disc brakes and they were replaced just before this started - but, the sound is from the rear drum brakes. After not finding a rock, I thought maybe some mud had hardened around the disc - but, didn't see anything.

I'm starting to wonder about u-joints or bearings... i've been looking up symptoms.

The front are disc brakes and they were replaced just before this started - but, the sound is from the rear drum brakes. After not finding a rock, I thought maybe some mud had hardened around the disc - but, didn't see anything.

I'm starting to wonder about u-joints or bearings... i've been looking up symptoms.
have you taken the rear drums apart since the sound started? sometimes a spring can break and cause the pad to ride inside the drum.

Are you sure it's the brakes? Sounds travel, and are deceiving.
Jack it up front and rear, get someone to sit in for safety, and go through 1st, and 2nd gear while you listen.
DO NOT GET UNDER THE JEEP!!!!!!
If you want to get under it, have it on a lift!

Thanks for the tips so far - I haven't jacked it up yet, but will. Just to double check, I took it for a ride - never exceeded 25mph. Only new finding was it doesn't occur in reverse. So, sounds like a stone and picks up speed with vehicle speed. Doesn't occur in reverse. Wasn't immediately obvious, took about a block (of course, acceleration noise may have caused that). And, shifting into neutral (it's an auto) does not affect anything.

More to come, but keep the tips coming...

Ed

okay... I hate not posting the fix... almost as much as I hate to admit that... after jacking everything up, removing the tire, etc.. I found the small black stone stuck in the tread. All better! (HEY, it was black - it blended in..)

Some times it's the simplest of things. I didn't drive my jeep for an extended period of time twice because of a blown fuse, same problem both times. Spent a lot of money and replaced a lot of things trying to diagnose it, although I don't know what caused it, I could have atleast been driving it still.