Got to rebuild a lift kit....

I have a '99 XJ with what measures to be a 4.5" lift, with some obvious Rusty's components. However, the coil spacers are double stacked, and looks to be trimmed with a hacksaw, and the rear aal's were assembled in the middle of the pack, making for a mess and unsupported main leaf that will fail. Lower arms look ok, XJ runs down the highway at 70 with no death wobble and tracks fine. It even flexes okay. But I want to make it right.

If I buy a whole lift kit with springs, I kill my budget for anything else that I know will show up as I am trying to make this XJ work. I want to buy components, and balance the lift with a shackle relocation kit. My dream is to one day have this XJ so that I can drive my 4x4 in Moab, so I want to do this right, and not waste anything.

I am looking at Rubicon Express, Rustys, and Rough County for 4.5" coils and 3.5" springs. Shackle relocation brackets will be either Rough Country or HD Offroad Engineering. If the control arms need to go, I am looking to replacements from IronMan4x4.

I know Rubicon Express changed hands, so to speak.:frowny: Opinions on the three to get components from?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I missed this thread till now.

I have had pretty good luck with Rustys coil springs in projects I have worked on plus they are cheap at only around $100 a pair.

Usually the AAL is assembled in the pack on purpose if it is a full length AAL. There is really nothing wrong with an AAL, often you can remove one of the smaller leaves in the pack and get some lift but keep a smoother ride than many lift spring packs.

Sounds like you have an entire Rustys 3-4" kit as you can get them with AAL or full packs.

Are the control arms worn out? bushings bad? If it aint broke dont fix it.

I ended up ordering RE 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf packs to start, and RC shocks to replace the too-short stock shocks used by the PO :shaking:. Some cheap "adjustable" extended shackles are already on it, so we will see where I end up. Shackle relocation brackets are already planned, but as the pieces come together, I can get a better idea.

I ended up ordering RE 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf packs to start, and RC shocks to replace the too-short stock shocks used by the PO :shaking:. Some cheap "adjustable" extended shackles are already on it, so we will see where I end up. Shackle relocation brackets are already planned, but as the pieces come together, I can get a better idea.
So what is the rule of thumb on lift height that needs an adjustable track bar? Tearing into this front end, and trying to get it right the first time.

I like the Rough Country/Hecklethorn shocks, but it looks like they are being phased out before I bought the front pair.

And the eternal locker question....E-Locker or OX?.......

I think If you want to do it right, anything over stock needs an adjustable Trackbar to keep your axle centered, plus they are usually a helluva lot stouter then stock.

Just throw a lunchbox locker up front, cheap, usually strong enough, and with the exception of Jim's in his old Tj they are usually quiet and tolerable enough to drive on daily.

So what is the rule of thumb on lift height that needs an adjustable track bar? Tearing into this front end, and trying to get it right the first time.

I like the Rough Country/Hecklethorn shocks, but it looks like they are being phased out before I bought the front pair.

And the eternal locker question....E-Locker or OX?.......
any reason why you dont include ARB in your selectable locker list?

I think If you want to do it right, anything over stock needs an adjustable Trackbar to keep your axle centered, plus they are usually a helluva lot stouter then stock.

Just throw a lunchbox locker up front, cheap, usually strong enough, and with the exception of Jim's in his old Tj they are usually quiet and tolerable enough to drive on daily.
Ya Jims locker is nuts, Ive never heard one that loud. I have not had any problems with running a lunchbox locker up front. I have had two separate grand cherokees where I have ran lockrights. I have also ran them in the rear, and if you have the money I would go selectable for that.

Sounds like your making some good progress on parts.

any reason why you dont include ARB in your selectable locker list?
Couple of reasons for that....an ARB plus compressor INFLATES :grin: the locker budget too much, plus I want to try something other than an ARB on purpose. There are alternatives out there, some better than others. I have seen an ECTED in action, and dismissed it.

The OX is brutally simple, with a reinforced cover, no need to drill the housing, has multiple ways to actuate, and a backup tool to "lock in emergency", but the cable routing seems problematic on XJ's. The Grizzy ZIP locker has fans, but it needs a compressor too, and the housing drilled like an ARB.

The E-locker IS 4 pinion, and the wiring is easier to rout than a cable, you still have to drill the housing, but the "ball n ramp" design may get abused a lot in the rockin' back in form we do in the mud here in the south.

My XJ is not my DD, but I can't trailer, so it has to be "DD" capable.

I have already bought upper and lower arms from http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/, may try his track bar.

Was originally thinking of a lunchbox locker, but have just enough left in the budget for a selectable, which originally seemed impossible to afford.

Because people always do a halfass job of plumbing/installing them which leads to problems people blame on said locker.
And the need for a compressor....don't get me wrong, OBA is on the list at some point, but I am not done with the interior layout and small repairs yet. I have to remove the OEM ABS system, and install a 8" sub w/amp, and both of those things are in spaces where I have see the ARB compressors. There is only so much space in an XJ, even for something as small as switches and a CB.

Plus, I have to do as much of this upgrade work myself as I can. Routing the air line in the diff for ARB, drilling and tapping the housing, then routing the air line through the body is why most pay someone else to do them. I helped with a few years ago, when they were first introduced, and everyone welded the diff, or had a Detroit. To me, the ARB cost is exponential, and my confidence level on installing it right the first time is not as high.

Most people pay to get the install done because a Gear Install is not for everyone. Running a cable or hose isn't any big deal.
True, but in the case of the OX, the articulation of the front axle, plus the exhaust location, seems to cause a lot of issues with the cable. Add the limits on the cable bend radius, and mounting the shift lever, and the OX seems to be more troublesome to install in an XJ.