Trailer Shenanigans in SC...

Ok... So I bought a trailer with no tag from a guy in Florida on Craigslist a few years back. He had just bought it from a guy in TN and never got a title or tag for it.

I thought that was no big deal because in SC you dont need to tag your trailer....well it was brought to my attention recently that I should have the trailer tagged if I am crossing state Lines. This was news to me.

So I was reading online that in SC I should be able to get a UP (Utility Purpose) Tag, which is a permanent tag with a one time fee of $75

OK, no problem, I'll just call and confirm this... thats where I come into a problem

In order to register a trailer in SC you need a Title, which I dont have, and there is no way for me to get one from the previous owner.

I asked the lady about doing a home built trailer and she mentioned they would need reciepts for all materials to create the trailer...um no...that wont work.

So what would you do?

Also, for all of you with trailers that tow rigs to neighboring states do you have tags on your trailers?

Windrock+2012+001.jpg

01tj

so I guess the question is, if they stop me and write me a ticket for no tag, what is my response?
I dont know anyone that has ever been stopped for that. I know a few people have been ticketed for overweight out of state.

No tags on any of them here!
Offroad, 2 utility, and the boat all go out of state. I have been warned, but never bothered!
I have a certificate of origination on one of my trailers. Any builder that is commercially selling trailers is required to do a certificate when the trailer is sold, that's what the DMV uses to title the trailer if it's new. That doesn't mean they do it!

Brooks is this your military trailer?
You could possibly contact the military dept of surplus, and get a copy of the surp. papers. That should do!

Tell the officer some crap
About resurrecting it out of a field and it's old military bla, bla, bla and see how it goes. And maybe add "a tag is not needed in my home state Sir, unless it's commercial use....therefore ,Sir, I do not have one and have not had one for the past 4 years and 5k miles that I have towed it all over the southeast, Sir."

Give it a shot.

We are not required to tag trailers in Sc. Your not expected to meet every states regulations. That's almost impossible. I towed 25k lbs to Moab on a 24'goosneck and never heard a word from dot. I assume you fall under your states regs.
I've read alot on Rv forums, in some states it's illegal for you to tow your little military trailer behind your jeep. I did some research cause I wanna tow 2 bumper pull trailers. Its considered towing doubles, illegal in our neighboring states but when I get to miss. you can do it but can't exceed 99'. Just goes to show each state regulations vary to much. The only way you will get bothered by Dot is if you were doing something to get attention.

I actually went through a checkpoint in VA on the way back from Harlan. The VA state police officer walked around the jeep and trailer. Not a word about the lack of fenders, or a tag on the trailer. May just be luck!

no tage on my trailer or the other two gooseneck that i have pulled everywhere from grey rock to harlen thank biggest thing that would get u stopped buy the popo is load that looks un safe or a load that looks over weight for the truck pulling it lol even at that not saying any names harverd but even with yalls weight ticket did the popo say anything about the trailer tag or did it have one on it ?

no tage on my trailer or the other two gooseneck that i have pulled everywhere from grey rock to harlen thank biggest thing that would get u stopped buy the popo is load that looks un safe or a load that looks over weight for the truck pulling it lol even at that not saying any names harverd but even with yalls weight ticket did the popo say anything about the trailer tag or did it have one on it ?
No tags and nothing was said other than the weight issue.

We are not required to tag trailers in Sc. Your not expected to meet every states regulations.
You are actually required to meet what ever state your driving throughs regulations. It really comes down to the cop pulling you over. If he's had a bad day he might write a ticket for it, but usually you can get out of it if you explain its not required in your state. Now if DOT pulls you it may be harder.

01tj

I have towed in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee with in the last few months, and have not heard a word. Although I am well under my tagged weight, my trailer lights work, and the load does not look unsafe. I would think you would be fine with that small trailer Brooks. I don't have a title for my trailer either so I would be in the same boat if that were the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have towed it through West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee and never had a problem, but I was just trying to avoid the hassle of having to deal with getting pulled if I could.