TRE/ Heims tech. What do you run?

01tj

They wear out really fast. I'm fixing to build a new tie rod now that will accept heims since I bent a TRE at Windrock.

What part number TRE were you using, a lot of people run the little chevy ends and call them "1 Ton"...

and you were wearing them out on yours because you had the crappy T steering with this TRE on the passenger side, which is also the one you bent.

es2233l_top.jpg

its so nice to be able to turn the wheels on the trail and not have it to SCREEAEACHEAEEAACHEAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAXCCCHEAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH

Man I guess I had a misunderstanding of BEEF. I thought the Drag Link end looked weak compared to my TRE's. I had no idea.
depends on where you get the ends from, some autoparts stores have different castings of both. The joints and shanks are larger on the Drag Link ends, and they have a larger head that tapers into the threads.

I've got heims and I have to add some lubricant spray to keep them quiet. But I also drive mine 2 or 3 nights a week on the highway running around town. It may be a full fledged PIA if I drove every day commuting to work and all that. Mine typically is a secondary vehicle.

3/4-3/4 Heims only way to go on steering IMO. I have seen a ton of broken TRE's but very few broken heims (assuming your buying the good stuff and not racecar junk thats meant to break).

I have beat the dog piss outta my tie rod and never broken one although I bent the shank on one. Its a good backup now. My problem with converting to heims once setup with TREs has been you have to cut out the TRE bung as no heims will match the 18TPI pitch. When I have done this, my link has always been too short and I have had to build another.

Heim is chromolly. Stronger material. And typically have a better thread from what I have seen. Jay's one ton TRE's were really sloppy when he pulled them off of his white cab truck. Who knows the length of time they were on there though.

Again, it's just my opinion. But I see a chromolly heim and a grade 8 bolt as being stronger than a pressed together part built from a cast type material.

Heim is chromolly. Stronger material. And typically have a better thread from what I have seen. Jay's one ton TRE's were really sloppy when he pulled them off of his white cab truck. Who knows the length of time they were on there though.

Again, it's just my opinion. But I see a chromolly heim and a grade 8 bolt as being stronger than a pressed together part built from a cast type material.
I would agree, A hiem is stronger, but my question was, when is a TRE not strong enough? If the guy pulled the threads out of the tube insert I would blame a lack of jamb nut and the tube insert for that failure.

I wouldnt put a TRE on a Coleworx buggy and go Rock bounce with it, but why not on a 1 ton TJ? Other than quiet steering operation what is there to worry about?

Well the price is about the same? Actually heims are probably cheaper. If you run that TRE into a rock and it breaks the joint?????? Why not go the strongest route?